SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke finishes 4th in tourney

In one of the deepest fields in which they have competed all season, the Blue Devils finished fourth at the General Jim Hackler Championship Mar. 12 at the TPC of Myrtle Beach in Murrells Inlet, SC.

The 18-team field featured 14 squads that qualified for last year's NCAA Regionals, seven of which had advanced to the 2006 NCAA Championship.

With the team's strong showing, Duke moved into 20th place in the Golf World/Nike Golf Coaches' Poll.

Freshman Adam Long paced the Blue Devils, shooting a 2-under 214 over his three rounds to finish in a four-way tie for 13th place, seven strokes behind leader Rhys Davies of East Tennessee State.

After going 2-over-par in the first round of the tournament, Long came back firing in his next two rounds, carding a 3-under 69 in his second round March 11 and a 1-under 71 in the final round the next day.

The freshman shot five birdies and 10 pars in his third round, before double-bogeying the last hole to drop him back to 1-under. The final-round scorecard read very similarly for senior Jake Grodzinsky, who also carded five birdies and 10 pars before double-bogeying the 18th hole to finish with a 1-under 71 on the day.

Grodzinsky went even-par over the course of the tournament, landing him in a tie for 18th-place.

The team's roster was rounded-out by freshman Jeff Edelman, junior Michael Schachner and sophomore Clark Klaasen.

With a 7-over 223, Schachner ended up in a tie for 47th. Klaasen's effort left him in a tie for 62nd, shooting a 10-over 226 over his three rounds. Edelman, however, had the best finish of his career-a tie for 23rd place-after going under-par in his last two rounds, the final of which included two birdies and two eagles.

Share and discuss “Duke finishes 4th in tourney” on social media.