Bush aide readies for Duke return

It's not every day that students can take classes with a former special advisor to the Bush administration and a member of the National Security Council.

But this fall, Peter Feaver will return to Duke to teach Political Science 93D: Introduction to International Relations, after spending two years on leave advising the White House on issues such as Iraq policy and global terrorism.

Feaver, a professor of political science, said he was asked to join the National Security Council in early 2005 when Steve Hadley took over for Condoleezza Rice as national security advisor and reorganized the NSC. Hadley brought in Feaver and other university professors to meet with senior administration officials and brainstorm new policies.

"One of the great things about the United States' system of government is that it allows outsiders to have policy-making authority and contribute fresh ideas," Feaver said.

Feaver, who also served in a lesser role under former President Bill Clinton's administration, said that although he has enjoyed his time in Washington, he is excited about returning to Duke because it will allow him to spend more time with his family and provide him with more flexibility in his research.

He said his time in Washington would shape his teaching and benefit students, specifically when it comes to writing.

"President [George W.] Bush takes writing extremely seriously," Feaver said. "He scrutinized a lot of what I wrote for him, which may surprise some people given the Jon Stewart image of him that is portrayed in the media."

Michael Gillespie, acting chair and professor of political science, said the department is looking forward to Feaver's return.

"He was an exciting and top-rate teacher before he left, and he will be an exciting and top-rate teacher when he returns," Gillespie said, adding that Feaver's work in Washington will help provide anecdotal support for his teaching and make the material more relevant for his students.

"A lot of students want jobs in this area," Feaver said. "[My experience] will influence what assignments I give and what topics I stress or don't stress in my teaching."

Feaver added that he aims to develop students into intelligent media consumers who can critically analyze and interpret current events.

Erika Seeler, a fifth-year graduate student in political science, took a graduate-level class with Feaver and served as a teaching assistant in his Political Science 93D course in Fall 2004. She emphasized his passion for engaging students in classroom discussion.

"He is very accessible and committed to his students," Seeler wrote in an e-mail. "Graduate and undergraduate students alike will benefit from his return."

Feaver is currently collaborating with Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students, on a book of helpful hints aimed at high school seniors making the transition to college. The book is slated to be published in the spring of 2008.

"[Feaver's] absence has been felt," Wasiolek said. "He's a real champion of the students."

Share and discuss “Bush aide readies for Duke return” on social media.