Baseball team struggles in opening ACC action

Heading into spring break, the Blue Devils seemingly had just about everything going right for them.

Duke had scrapped its way to a 15-1 record, and the pitching staff had only allowed double-digit runs twice.

Despite having played relatively weak competition, the team had already matched its 2006 win total and looked forward to improving on last year's 6-24 conference record.

But Duke (17-7, 0-6 ACC) ran into a road block once conference play began at the beginning of spring break, even as the Blue Devils continued to win non-league games. Duke lost 6-4, 7-2 and 9-6 to No. 6 Clemson (14-4, 3-0) to conclude the eight-game stretch over the one-week break.

In the other games, the Blue Devils were swept by Boston College 3-1, 10-5 and 10-2 but defeated Fairleigh Dickinson 15-4 and 10-5 in between the two ACC series.

"In all three stages in the game we haven't put together a complete game," head coach Sean McNally said after the Clemson series. "We were competitive in all three games."

Competitiveness alone, however, could not push Duke far enough for an ACC victory, as inconsistency plagued the Blue Devils.

Against Boston College at home, the Blue Devils only gave up one run in the first seven innings in the first game. In the second game, however, Duke allowed five runs in the first two innings.

"I think we've played well in spurts," McNally said. "In some games we've pitched well but haven't swung the bats well."

Their competitiveness did, however, put them in position to win several games over the break. This was especially apparent in the first game against Clemson Friday.

After jumping out to a 6-0 lead, Clemson appeared to have things wrapped up as the Blue Devils stepped into the batter's box in the eighth inning. Two outs later, everything still seemed fine for the Tigers until freshman Alexander Hassan reached base on an error.

Jonathan Anderson bunted safely to first base, and after a wild throw by the fielder, Hassan scored and Anderson advanced to second.

Duke added two more runs in the inning, and the three runs scored in the frame ended Clemson's run of 20 straight innings over three games without allowing a run.

Ultimately, however, the Blue Devils could not complete the comeback in the ninth inning, as the inability to finish out games came back to haunt them like it did in the first game against Boston College. In that contest, the score was tied 1-1 going until Duke gave up two runs in the eighth inning to allow the Eagles to pull away with the 3-1 victory.

Against the Tigers, Duke never came closer to winning than after the first-game rally. Even with Duke holding a 6-4 lead in the third inning Sunday at Clemson, the Tigers never panicked, scoring five more runs to defeat the Blue Devils again.

"It's a process we're learning from in all these games," McNally said. "Our guys know they've got to play better."

Share and discuss “Baseball team struggles in opening ACC action” on social media.