North Carolina braces for wintry weather

Forecasts show Durham could be in for a nasty patch of weather today. The National Weather service is predicting snow, sleet and freezing rain between 6 a.m. and midnight Thursday.

Even before a flake had fallen, Durham County and Winston-Salem/Forsyth County schools canceled Thursday classes, and others have announced delays.

"People are confident that it's going to do something," Teresa Reinhardt, office manager at Ace Hardware in Hickory, told the Associated Press. Reinhardt said people have flooded stores to buy shovels and sleds to prepare for the wintry mix.

The Triangle and surrounding areas have been placed on a severe storm watch for a storm expected to sweep the southeast. Up to four inches of snow are expected to build up in regions along Interstate 40.

Meteorologist Jonathan Blaes cited cold temperatures in the past 10 days as reason for the potential accumulation.

"It's going to be a painful day for a lot of folks," he said, predicting the largest snowfall for Greensboro and ice problems in Chapel Hill and Pittsboro.

State officials are heeding weather warnings and prepping for potentially severe weather. Crews from state electric cooperatives have been placed on standby and the North Carolina Department of Transportation treated highways and bridges with salt brine Wednesday.

The highway Emergency Response team was also activated to deal with collisions, but state Highway Patrol officials encouraged commuters to drive carefully and anticipate hazardous conditions.

"The speed limit may say... 45, but that doesn't mean you can travel at that speed," patrol spokesman Lt. Everett Clendenin said. "The number-one type of collision we have is the rear-end fender-bender."

David Graham and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “North Carolina braces for wintry weather” on social media.