Assertive Bales provides edge for Blue Devils

After Lindsey Harding thanked family, friends and fans during the post-game senior day ceremony, the Cameron Crazies chanted, "M-V-P, M-V-P!"

Although Harding put up her typical player of the year-caliber numbers-15 points and eight rebounds-the real difference-maker Sunday afternoon was senior Alison Bales, who like Harding, was playing in her final game at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Countering the outstanding performance of North Carolina forward Erlana Larkins-who finished with 18 points and 19 rebounds-Bales excelled not just down low, like she has all year. Along with posting her 19th double-double of the season, she was at her peak in every facet of her game.

The calm and cool confidence that Bales displayed-a sign of her four-year maturity-carried the Blue Devils through the most pivotal moments of the game, in which Bales did the little things that often go unnoticed but actually matter most for her team.

"I told Ali at halftime that when I get beat, sometimes it's just because I feel like letting her get a block," sophomore Abby Waner said. "It's a comfort level that you can pressure, and if you happen to get beat, then there is that next line of defense."

Early in the second half, the Tar Heels had closed Duke's lead to one, 35-34. After grabbing a rebound off a Latta-missed three-point attempt, Bales hurried down the floor and aggressively finished on a layup, putting Duke back ahead 37-34.

On the next Duke possession, Bales, establishing herself at the top of the key, swung the ball to a wide-open Wanisha Smith who nailed a three-pointer for her first points of the game. Less than a minute later, after grabbing another defensive rebound, Bales moved around the offensive set without the ball and set a pick that opened up Smith for another jumper that extended Duke's lead to 42-36.

Unlike Harding, Bales was not flashy during the offensive sets. But her consistency in causing trouble on the defensive end and acting as a pillar to the offense was what the Blue Devils have come to expect all season from the post.

A year ago, however, that was not the case. Bales, whose size made her one of the most intimidating players in the nation, was still trying to find her niche on the team at this point last season. At times, she was afraid to take the ball to the hoop and was often tentative and unsure down low. But all that changed during the 2006 post-season.

In the NCAA Tournament, Bales emerged as the key post player for Duke-a fact that is often forgotten in light of Maryland guard Kristi Tolliver's tragic three-pointer over Bales in the national championship game.

During the Tournament, the center became comfortable in the post and may have won tournament Most Valuable Player honors, had Duke captured the national title. Fortunately for Duke, Bales carried that confidence into this season and became a cornerstone and a leader of this year's team.

In Duke and UNC's first matchup this season, though, Bales put up a lackluster performance on the offensive end, scoring only seven points-although she pulled down a team-high 14 rebounds. In that game, Bales looked more like the tentative center of yesteryear.

"Last time against Carolina, I didn't really score, especially in the first half," Bales said. "I really wasn't aggressive enough. I was getting my shot blocked. So, I wanted to come into this game, forget about that game and really come in aggressive."

Especially after Bales' forgettable performance in the first contest, the key matchup entering the game Sunday was between National Player of the Year candidates Latta and Harding. At Carmichael Auditorium Feb. 8, Ivory Latta posted a dismal 3-for-20 shooting performance while Harding stole the show with 16 points and nine rebounds.

Yesterday, though, the two had equally strong performances and in effect canceled each other out. However, as Latta is a counterpoint to Harding, Bales has no match for her down low on the Tar Heels' squad.

Larkins gave a formidable effort and grabbed a career high 19 rebounds, but Bales obviously caused more trouble for the smaller post than Larkins did for the taller center.

Share and discuss “Assertive Bales provides edge for Blue Devils” on social media.