Boykin decides to transfer

Jamal Boykin had not been on Duke's bench for weeks, and now there is no chance he will return.

The sophomore, who had not played since the Blue Devils' third game after contracting mononucleosis, had returned home to Los Angeles after falling ill. Boykin informed Duke's coaching staff of his decision to transfer late Thursday night.

"I just want everybody to know that as far as the coaching staff and the players at Duke, we're still on good terms," Boykin told the Durham Herald-Sun. "I'm still good friends with those guys."

The 6-foot-7 forward said he would like to transfer to a school closer to his home. Early speculation about where he might enroll next included Southern California, California and Arizona State.

By leaving Duke now, Boykin will be eligible to play after first semester next year. Had he waited the entire year before making the decision, NCAA rules would have required Boykin to sit out all of next season.

"Jamal is a great young man, and we wish him the best in his future," head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement. "We're friends, and we totally support him through his illness, his impending transfer and whatever family concerns he has."

During his time at Duke, Boykin did not contribute heavily on the court. He played in 26 games as a freshman in 2005-06, totaling just 70 minutes. In the first three games of this season, Boykin had averaged 1.3 points and four rebounds playing behind sophomore Dave McClure and freshman Lance Thomas.

Still, while a Blue Devil, Boykin became a fan favorite with his excitable attitude and boundless enthusiasm.

Share and discuss “Boykin decides to transfer” on social media.