Right half of Blue Zone to close for Thanksgiving

Parking policies will be temporarily altered this Thanksgiving break to handle the Nov. 25 football game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the office of Parking and Transportation Services said in a statement Wednesday.

For that Saturday's game, the University has asked that Blue Zone parking lot permit holders move their cars from the four lots adjacent to Wallace Wade Stadium, parking officials said.

Normally students are required to move their cars from the Blue Zone by 6 a.m. the day of home football games. But because many students will be away for the break and thus unable to move their cars, permit holders will be required to vacate only the four lots closest to the football stadium.

All cars not out of those four lots by 6 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 25 will be ticketed and towed, said Melissa Harden, assistant director of parking operations.

The lot closest to the entrance to the Blue Zone and the two lots on the left will be made available for students who leave their cars over Thanksgiving break.

"The only time that we've had the issue in the past was when the Rolling Stones concert was here over fall break," Harden said, adding that a similar policy was implemented then.

If the Blue Zone lots allowed for student parking become full, students will be required to move their cars to the gravel lots on Duke University Road, officials added. The gravel lots will open for student parking beginning at 7 a.m., Monday, Nov. 20.

After break, students will be expected to move their cars out of the Duke University Road parking lots by 10 p.m. Monday, Nov. 27.

Many students said that the temporary change was a satisfactory response to the extenuating circumstances.

"I don't think that many people will be here, so I don't think it will be that big of a deal," sophomore Mara Herrmann said.

Parking and Transportation Services also announced that they would send an e-mail message to all Blue Zone permit holders today. Additionally, signs will be posted in front of the lots that must be vacated.

Share and discuss “Right half of Blue Zone to close for Thanksgiving” on social media.