Let Robertsons tent

I read with great interest your Nov. 14 article "Robertsons irked by tenting policy." Yes, I know there are a lot of important issues going on at both of our campuses, so I even hesitate to write this letter. But I do want to urge the Duke Student Government to reconsider its proposed policy banning any students who were full-time students at UNC during the Fall 2006 semester from tenting for the Duke-UNC game.

This is not only contrary to the spirit of the Robertson Scholars Program, where students of both Duke and UNC are supposed to be treated as students of the sister campus, but also, I think, contrary to a spirit of openness, diversity and just plain fun. How can Robertson Scholars truly experience Duke if they are prevented from participating in one of its signature rituals?

I live in a divided home: My daughter loves the Tar Heels, and my son is a die-hard Blue Devils fan. Their split allegiances make these games interesting and fun for my family, and I hope that DSG will see diversity of opinion at Cameron in the same way.

Lighten up, Cameron Crazies. You are known as the best fans in the country. Certainly the presence of a few light blue comrades from down the road won't diminish your spirit. Let's remember that this is supposed to be fun.

Eric Mlyn

Director, Robertson Scholars Program

Share and discuss “Let Robertsons tent” on social media.