Cavs enjoy new home arena

In his second season, Virginia head coach Dave Leitao has plenty to look forward to. He has a lot to work with on the floor this year, and maybe more importantly, a new floor to work on.

John Paul Jones Arena, Virginia's brand-new $130 million complex-which includes new digs for the team's players and coaches, among other amenities-has brought higher expectations and has given the team and the university an energizing breath of life.

"It's called a palace now," Leitao said. "How many people have a shower in their office?"

A shower is great, but Leitao is more refreshed by the positive attitude and air of support that the stadium has brought than a hot bath at the job.

"[A new arena] is the best tangible way to show people what you've been talking about in terms of creating a culture," Leitao said. "It helps send a message about what's going on in our basketball program."

With a new stadium, a second-year coach and five returning starters, the Cavaliers hope to mix experienced play with the new direction of Leitao and a renewed attitude to build on last year's better-than expected 15-15 record. To do that, there is little doubt that Virginia will have to improve its offense.

"We're going to try as best we can to open it up a little bit more," Leitao said. "Last year, we were last in a lot of the offensive categories."

Specifically, the Cavaliers ranked last in the ACC in both field goal percentage and assists, and they were second to last in scoring offense and scoring margin. Still, the Cavaliers are confident that their team has components that can spark productivity and a much better offensive performance this year.

Virginia, picked by the media to finish eighth in the ACC this season, has one of the most talented and experienced backcourts in the conference in junior Sean Singletary and senior J.R. Reynolds. In 2006, both players finished as top-10 scorers in the ACC.

Singletary, a first-team All-ACC selection last season, believes the biggest benefit he brings to the team is his maturity.

"There's nothing like experience," he said. "You know how to win."

The fact that Virginia has a newer coaching staff has not slowed Singletary or the rest of the team down. Leitao and his team, especially the upperclassmen, have been vocal about their desire to win now and to create a culture conducive to success. In order to do this, Singletary said both desperation and accountability are key.

"With this program, there's no hiding," Singletary said. "Some people never realize the sense of urgency you need to be a winner."

Share and discuss “Cavs enjoy new home arena” on social media.