West Campus Plaza to host new statue 'Tattoo'

Soon students will find more than trees and tables on the new West Campus Plaza.

In the next few weeks, a glowing sculpture designed by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa will be installed on the Plaza, said Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, Tuesday.

"Plensa is a wonderfully renowned artist," Moneta said. "I think we are just incredibly fortunate to showcase one of his pieces."

Titled "Tattoo," the 2003 sculpture is on loan from the Crown family of Chicago. Paula Crown, Trinity '80 and member of the Board of Trustees, is an advisor to the Nasher Museum of Art, and it is through this connection that Duke received the loan, officials said.

The sculpture is expected to be on display through May 2007.

Made of polyester resin and stainless steel, Tattoo is in the shape of a kneeling human figure and shines in various colors. Writing inspired by a children's geography book is inscribed along the outside, including questions such as "What is ice?" or "What is a river?"

The work is nine feet in height and weighs approximately 100 pounds.

"The sculpture is visually arresting and thought-provoking and will enhance the outdoor plaza space in a very exciting way," Nasher Director Kimerly Rorschach said in a statement Tuesday.

Moneta said the decision to display the piece was finalized in only the last couple of weeks, when Rorschach began discussing the possibility with the work's owner.

When Rorschach decided there was not an appropriate place to display the work at the museum, the Plaza was selected as the best location for the work, Moneta said.

"Having public art on the Plaza will certainly add to its use as part of the educational landscape on campus," he said.

The arrival of Duke's Plensa sculpture coincidentally comes on the heels of a planned installation of another of the artist's works in nearby Raleigh. Ultimately, however, the Raleigh City Council rejected the design.

Born in Barcelona, Plensa has won a number of awards for his work, which is featured in venues around the world.

The artist will be coming to campus next Sunday to give a free lecture, "Human Nature," at the Nasher at 3 p.m.

Share and discuss “West Campus Plaza to host new statue 'Tattoo'” on social media.