Tuesday morning quarterback

Offensive line still cause for concern

Before the season began, head coach Ted Roof targeted the offensive line as an area in need of improvement for the Blue Devils to succeed in 2006.

Duke's rushing attack continued its woeful campaign this season with a negative-21 yard performance against Virginia Saturday. The porous protection also allowed the Cavaliers to get many hard hits on quarterback Thaddeus Lewis, including four sacks and two forced fumbles.

"We've got a ways to go," Roof said about the progress of his offensive line. "There's no question about that.... That group really has to play because there's not much margin for error. We got to get better. We're working on it and that's all I know to do."

Players look forward to weekend tilt in Tuscaloosa

Duke travels to Alabama this Saturday, home of one of college football's most prestigious programs.

Alabama has won 21 SEC Championships and six national titles. The 92,138 people that are expected to fill Bryant-Denny Stadium have developed a reputation for being some of the most raucous fans across the country.

"It'll be a heck of a challenge," Roof said.

Despite the intimidating venue, the Blue Devils are looking forward to performing at the storied university.

"It's an intense environment," linebacker Jeramy Edwards said. "It's something that you wish to play in as a Division-I athlete. Playing in the toughest environment and having all those fans, that's what college football is about."

Roof and Shula face off again

In 1984, Roof and Alabama head coach Mike Shula faced off as players.

Roof, who played defensive line for Georgia Tech, recorded a team-high nine tackles against the Crimson Tide.

Shula lined up as quarterback for Alabama and threw for the team's only touchdown of the game as the Yellow Jackets were victorious, 16-6. Roof even recovered a fumble by Shula.

"I've put too much information in my brain to remember," Roof said when asked to reminisce. "But I remember him being a good player, and they had a good team."

Share and discuss “Tuesday morning quarterback” on social media.