Students chime in on culture

A sea of raised hands-but few raised voices-filled the Faculty Commons Wednesday afternoon.

About 50 students gathered there for the Campus Culture Initiative's town hall meeting, the second of three forums for faculty, students and staff, respectively.

Attendees passed around two microphones, taking turns sharing the aspects of University life they found most satisfying, disappointing or in need of change.

Students also inquired about the CCI's agenda and discussed potential ways to bridge divides on campus.

"People don't feel a part of a cohesive social life," senior Rachel Weeks said. Explaining that students need to "democratize" social activities, she added, "It's okay to be in a fraternity. It's okay to be an athlete."

CCI Chair Robert Thompson, dean of Trinity College of Arts and Sciences and vice provost for undergraduate education, opened the meeting by outlining the CCI's progress since the initiative began in April. He encouraged continuing student input.

"We have the opportunity to look at a number of issues simultaneously and to look at how they affect each other," Thompson said. "The opportunity to make a difference... is really unprecedented."

Several students noted that campus culture still depends on the type of students Duke attracts and admits, as well as the behavioral standards the University sets.

"Our school doesn't have standards for us, or doesn't make them clear enough or make the expectations clear enough," said senior Alex Oliveira, vice president of Duke University Union.

Members of the University community have different conceptions of the Duke student ideal, Thompson said.

He added, however, that everyone would agree the University needs students who are engaged in the educational process.

Both undergraduate and graduate students also criticized the divisions between the two groups.

"There is a disconnect in the fact that we aren't invited to the conversation a lot of times," said Audrey Ellerbee, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Council and a fifth-year biomedical engineering student.

Only a couple of students voiced concerns about possible increases in restrictions on alcohol consumption.

Junior Elliott Wolf, president of Duke Student Government, answered some of their concerns and said more options for late-night socializing would benefit students.

Noting that he drinks himself, Wolf said, "It's a question of, 'Do we want to stand around and drink all the time?' or 'Do we want to stand around and have a few beers and listen to music?'"

Thompson noted that the CCI Steering Committee is aware of the need to provide more and better facilities for student events not centered primarily on alcohol.

As the meeting drew to a close, some students talked about how to get more of their peers to recognize problems in campus culture and get involved in the CCI.

More non-mandatory events would only attract the same group of interested students, said senior Tiffany Gelott, co-director of Students To Unite Duke.

Thompson encouraged students not to wait for the CCI's report before taking initiative to reshape the community.

"This is your time and your place," he said. "Make it what you can make it."

Share and discuss “Students chime in on culture” on social media.