Music review: John Legend

After winning three Grammys for his 2004 breakout Get Lifted (Sony Urban Music), John Legend's Once Again shows a transition away from soul-infused pop, favoring a more retro sound. Counting on the collaboration of well-known producers such as will.i.am, Kanye West and Raphael Saadiq, the album's upbeat, bright tone maintains Legend's ubiquitous sensibility throughout.

The optimistic "Save Room," the album's first single and a throwback to Van Morrison, contrasts with the soothing, seductive tone of prior hit single "Ordinary People." The song, along with "Where Did My Baby Go," takes root from these retro, almost oldies sounds.

The album's vibrant, soulful songs suggest a contemporary nostalgia for the R&B sounds of the '60s and '70s. Mellower songs such as "Show Me" and the jazzy "Slow Dance" show Legend's new tendency to sing in a whisper, providing the listener with an intimate and slow aura of keyboard and percussion.

Despite claims that Legend's success is due to his connections with Kanye West, the new album's songs prove Legend can transcend his producer's fame and create something all his own. With this new combination of retro sounds and hope-filled lyrics, the album is certainly a step in the right direction for Legend's pursuit of justifying his ambitious surname.

Share and discuss “Music review: John Legend” on social media.