Improved ground game takes on FSU

For the first time this season, the Blue Devils showed signs of life in the backfield in a loss at Alabama last weekend.

Duke will again need a productive running game if it hopes to upset Florida State (3-2, 1-2 in the ACC), which the Blue Devils (0-3, 0-5) play at 1 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday.

"Regardless of what style of offense you run, you have to be effective running the football at some point in the game," head coach Ted Roof said. "Whether it's at the end to run out the clock or some other point in the game, if you can't run the football, it makes it tough to win."

After posting totals of 58 and negative-21 yards rushing in consecutive shutout losses to Virginia Tech and Virginia, respectively, the Blue Devils broke out last week for 201 yards rushing in a 30-14 loss to Alabama. With 158 of those yards coming in the first half, Duke established a 14-10 lead heading into halftime. The running game, however, stalled in the second half, as the Blue Devils managed only one-third of their first-half production.

Without an effective second-half rushing attack, Duke could not control the clock or wear down the Crimson Tide defense.

"We're not satisfied," said running back Re'quan Boyette, who led Duke with 97 yards against Alabama. "We came out and gave them a hell of a game, but we didn't win. So, we need to carry that motivation into Florida State on Saturday."

For the majority of the season, the Blue Devils have relied on the arm of Thaddeus Lewis. But as opposing teams have focused on stopping the passing game since Lewis's 305-yard performance against Wake Forest, the air attack has been shaky at times, making an effective running game that much more crucial.

"It's so important for us to be able to run the ball," Boyette said. "It controls the clock, and it opens up the passing game. We have some really good wide receivers that we need to get it to."

In the Seminoles' last game, N.C. State receivers burned a decimated Florida State defensive backfield for three touchdown receptions in a 24-20 Wolfpack win. N.C. State was able to thrash the Seminoles through the air in part because Florida State was forced to respect its ground attack.

Before the Seminoles' loss, they had only allowed an average of 72.5 yards rushing per game. But N.C. State more than doubled that total with 150 yards rushing.

A similar performance by Duke could force Florida State to concentrate more on the running attack and give Lewis more opportunities to make big plays.

So far this season, the Blue Devils have rotated numerous running backs in the backfield, sometimes due to injuries and other times in order to give players rest. The rotation has given all the runners plenty of experience and has benefited Duke's depth.

In addition to the rotation, the Blue Devils implemented the option last Saturday, led by running back-turned-quarterback Clifford Harris. The experience and different running schemes allow Duke to be versatile against the Seminoles' front line.

"We have confidence in all the guys behind us," center Matt Rumsey said. "And we have so many of them. And they are all fantastic players. It's good to have the rotation. We love blocking for all them."

In one play last season in the game against the Seminoles, the Blue Devil offensive line opened up a hole that Boyette broke through for a 78-yard touchdown scamper. Duke will be looking for more runs like that one in order to pick up the Blue Devils' first win of the season at home Saturday.

"We have a home game this weekend, and we need to defend our home territory," Rumsey said. "We haven't done a very good job of doing that this year. And that is the only thing we are worried about right now."

Share and discuss “Improved ground game takes on FSU” on social media.