SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke aims to keep rolling vs. Alabama A&M

With the Tobacco Road Rivalry looming this weekend, Duke is focused on the task at hand.

The ninth-ranked Blue Devils (10-2-1) play host to Alabama A&M (5-7-1) in a late-season, non-conference matchup at Koskinen Stadium at 7 p.m tonight, with a game against North Carolina coming up three days later.

"We're taking things one game at a time," junior forward Spencer Wadsworth said. "Carolina's in the back of our mind, but if we don't take care of business tomorrow, playing Carolina won't be as sweet."

If history is any sign, the Blue Devils have some reason to worry. In the all-time series, Duke is 0-3 against Alabama A&M, with all three losses coming during head coach John Rennie's 28-year tenure.

The last matchup, however, came in 1983 in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Since then, Alabama A&M has only returned to the tournament once, in 1984, while the Blue Devils have made 14 trips.

This season, the Bulldogs started 1-6 but have won four and tied one in their last six games. Up front, Alabama A&M is led by forwards MfanaFuthi Bhembe and Mosito Ranko, who have tallied five goals and two assists apiece so far this season.

"Alabama A&M brings a different style of play to the table," junior midfielder Joe Germanese said. "We have to be ready and focused to deal with the new challenges."

Stopping the Bulldogs attack will be more difficult for Duke without Germanese, who suffered a broken wrist and is out for a week. The Blue Devils will also miss Germanese's presence up front, where he has put up three goals and five assists this season.

Alabama A&M will not be the Blue Devils' first midweek matchup against a non-conference opponent.

UNC-Wilmington shocked the Blue Devils, 1-0, Sept. 19. Duke, however, adjusted from its loss to the Seahawks, and in the Blue Devils' last midweek game, they blasted Davidson, 3-1, Oct. 11.

"Every game is a big game," head coach John Rennie said. "Midweek games are difficult. Letdowns are a concern with any midweek game, but our players are adjusted. They've got a job to do."

The Davidson win was part of an offensive surge for the Blue Devils. Over its last three games, Duke scored nine goals en route to wins in all three.

"These things run in cycles," Rennie said. "We went through a period where we struggled to score. Our plan is to keep our defense consistent, and the goals will come when they come."

With Duke's offense hitting on all cylinders and a consistent defense, which has not given up more than one goal since Blue Devils' 4-3 win at Wake Forest, Duke is peaking at the right time.

"Things are just starting to click," Germanese said. "We're moving the ball better, and setting up better. It isn't any one thing-it's a culmination of a number of things. We are playing up to our potential."?

Share and discuss “Duke aims to keep rolling vs. Alabama A&M” on social media.