Alum invents solar trash compactor

Jim Poss, Trinity '96, always wanted to be an inventor.

Since graduating, Poss has realized that dream several times over, most recently inventing a trash compactor called the BigBelly.

Poss founded Seahorse Power Co. in 2003 to produce and market the compactor, and it is now sweeping major cities nationwide.

The BigBelly is powered by a 12-volt battery, which is charged by a solar panel on the unit. Sensors determine when the trash compartment is full and compress 180 gallons of waste into 46. The trash is compressed a number of times and LED lights indicate whether the trash is ready for pickup.

"We spend approximately $50 billion [annually] on hauling garbage," Poss said. "There's 119,000 garbage trucks burning a billion gallons of diesel per year. The BigBelly reduces the number of collections by a factor of four."

Poss's ecological interest began in high school, when he had an "inkling to get into the environmental sector." It became a full-fledged dedication while he was at Duke, he said.

Professor Emily Klein, who taught Poss when he studied at the Duke University Marine Laboratory in Beaufort, N.C., said she remembered his creativity.

"He did a project on solar cells, and this was a time when alternative energy was not a focus," Klein said.

Poss said Seahorse Power's name is a loose tribute to his time at Beaufort. There, he was able to capitalize on his passion for ocean-generated energy by creating a one-half kilowatt ocean-powered generator.

The knowledge he garnered at Beaufort and at subsequent jobs was critical in developing BigBelly, Poss said.

He said after working for several renewable energy companies and learning about solar power and electronics, he thought, "Hey, you know what? You could power a trash can with a battery."

Poss said that although the company is thriving now, with 230 machines out in the field and virtually no repairs this year, his business did not reach this point without struggle.

"I started the company with $10,000. The initial reaction of investors was that it was not going to work," Poss said. "But why it will work is difficult to put your finger on. "It's intangible-it's passion, resourcefulness, determination."

Sales Manager Alex Perera said Poss' personal qualities were key to their success.

"Jim has an energy and an enthusiasm that is contagious," Perera said.

"A lot of people come up with ideas, but most can't pull it through to fruition. He has really been able to bring on and motivate a great team," he added.

Poss said he is always looking for ways to improve the product, especially because the BigBellies look so different from other trash receptacles that they are unrecognizable to some people.

He said that in a year, wireless sensors will be installed to alert customers that the units are full, streamlining garbage collection routes.

"Eventually, we also hope to have a combination trash-recycler, essentially a materials kiosk," Poss said.

Though the units, which cost $4,500 and hold up to 180 gallons of trash, currently exceed household needs, Poss hopes their household use will one day be feasible.

BigBellies are now found in major U.S. cities, including Boston and New York, as well as in the United Kingdom, Australia and Spain. Poss, however, has further hopes for the spread of the BigBelly.

"I certainly would like to see something outside the Bryan Center and the Nicholas School," he said.

"I'd give Duke a special deal," Poss added.

Share and discuss “Alum invents solar trash compactor” on social media.