SPORTS  |  TENNIS

Women's tennis team to rely on seniors' experience

After a strong ACC run this past April that carried them into the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament, the Blue Devils are hoping to build on that success this year.

Duke commences its fall season at the Gator Invitational this weekend in Gainesville, Fla., where it will face opponents from Florida, Miami and South Florida.

"We have a great opportunity in front of us," head coach Jamie Ashworth said. "The next couple of weeks of the fall season will prove what they can do and where they can fit in for the spring."

Last year, the Blue Devils posted a 9-2 record in the ACC en route to a cumulative 20-8 record in dual matches before their season came to a halt, as they fell to No. 1 Stanford at the NCAAs in Palo Alto, Calif.

With the return of eight of its 10 players from last year--including five seniors--Duke's experience should be an advantage this season.

"It will factor into making us more successful in the fall," senior Kristin Cargill said. "There are a lot of us on the team who have experience on the college level."

Replacing departed seniors Jackie Carleton and Lauren Archer on this year's roster are freshmen Amanda Granson and Elizabeth Plotkin. Ashworth said he expects both to have big roles with plenty of available playing time.

Despite their strength and experience, the Blue Devils will have to remain healthy, an issue that plagued the team at times last season. Cargill missed part of the spring season, and fellow senior Tory Zawacki missed the entire campaign.

Their absences from the lineup hindered Duke's doubles game, which the team emphasized last year. Ashworth said the injuries in the spring forced him to switch his lineup. With this year's squad healthy, the team will be able to compete better in practice-efforts that will pay dividends in matches, Ashworth said.

"The best teams are the teams that have competed the best in practice," Ashworth said.

Senior Daniela Bercek reinforced her coach's message, emphasizing the "high competition" that will help with Duke's matches against both Miami and Florida this weekend. Along with the Blue Devils, the Hurricanes and Gators reached the NCAA quarterfinals in May.

Duke begins play at 2:30 p.m. today at the Gator Invitational, which Ashworth called, "the toughest fall tournament we've ever played."

The tough competition, however, could prove to be essential for the Blue Devils as they use the fall to prepare for the spring's ACC season, in which Duke's toughest competition could come from Miami.

"We match up pretty well with them," Bercek said. "It's good for us because we have to play them in the ACC."

Share and discuss “Women's tennis team to rely on seniors' experience” on social media.