Questions plague police tactics

Another school year begins with reports of the local police's use of inappropriate tactics. Thursday, two Durham Police Department officers were let go after they were charged with the assault of an area cook. Although their firing is an encouraging step in the right direction, reports of unnecessary tactics and racially tinged responses by local police have haunted the front pages of local papers for the last several years.

In August 2004, an incident at Cafe Parizade provoked charges of racial insensitivity as four seniors filed official complaints alleging misconduct on the part of Duke University Police officers. Students reported that they heard the singing of "We Shall Overcome" from one or more officers as they were clearing the mostly black crowd outside of the party. Upon an internal review, the department absolved the officers of violating any policies.

Last fall, in response to a student gathering at the Belmont apartment complex, Durham police officers tackled several students in an attempt to clear the area and reportedly left one senior with a bloodied face while he was escorted to the squad car in his bathing suit.

These incidents, when viewed in light of more recent reports of harsh treatment of Duke students by local police, paint a troubling portrait of over-the-line police actions. Yet, with the notable exception of the recent firing of the two Durham officers, few if any actions have been taken to redress the growing concern from the Duke community.

This inaction seemingly suggests to the student community a lack of concern from police about the incidents of impropriety. Using excessive force or other unseemly strategies raise important questions of what constitutes intimidation and abuse of power-questions that remain unanswered given the relatively meager response of both Durham and Duke University police departments to these concerns.

While terminating the employment of two officers that have been officially charged of simple assault seems promising, more must be done to assure the integrity of local law enforcement.

Unwanted consequences could arise from inappropriate incidents going unpunished, including, but surely not limited to, a loss of trust in police by students and accusations of intimidation volleyed against police departments.

If anyone in the police force or student body needs a reminder as to why a working relationship between school, students and police remains a pressing need, look no further than the most recent assault at the Belmont Apartments. Students and police need an amiable and trusting relationship, and both parties lose when an air of misgivings arises.

Clearly, not all police officers are involved in the overuse of force against students. Similarly, not all stories told about police brutality should be believed at face value. Yet these reasons underscore the need for a more thorough review of police tactics and past actions in order to discredit untruthful rumors and restore faith in the admirable job that many officers perform every day.

Share and discuss “Questions plague police tactics” on social media.