Oghobaase excited to play football again

Vince Oghobaase was Duke's best recruit in years.

One of the top defensive tackles in the country, the five-star recruit graduated high school early to get a head start on his collegiate training at Duke-a school he picked over football powerhouses Miami and Oklahoma.

But Oghobaase's early start came to an abrupt end just five days into his first week of spring practice in 2005 when he tore apart his right knee.

Now, after a year of rehabilitation, the redshirt freshman has gained a new sense of focus and passion for the game.

"You can't always be down on yourself on stuff like that," Oghobaase said. "Injuries happen in football all the time. So, I just had in my mind that I was going to rehab my knee as hard as I can and get back as soon as I can."

Standing injured on the sidelines last season for the first time in his football career, Oghobaase painfully watched his teammates, desperately wishing to be among them.

"I was devastated," Oghobaase said. "I came to college early, a semester early, to get my football game started early. Unfortunately, the fifth day of spring ball, I got an injury. So, it was real devastating to me."

He played all his high school games at Alief Hastings High School in Houston, Texas, where he recorded 68 tackles and 12 sacks as a senior. For his output, Oghobaase was rated seventh nationally among defensive tackles by scout.com in 2004.

After surgery to repair his TCL and tighten his MCL, Oghobaase underwent a year of intense physical therapy at Duke. During rehabilitation, Oghobaase was determined to make both his mind and body stronger. He worked out tirelessly in weight room and met with his teammates.

"I got with the strength-conditioning coach and pounded my upper body," Oghobaase said. "Also, all the defense taught me how to get my mind stronger and my game more focused."

Oghobaase returned to practice in the spring of 2006, wearing a brace on his knee. Once two-a-days began, however, he scrapped the brace and embraced a seize-it-all-now attitude.

"I don't wear my knee brace anymore," Oghobaase said. "I just have to play without a thought of it in my mind. If I get hurt, that's all good. I've got to play relentless and not be scared."

With the added physical strength and mental awareness, Oghobaase has impressed the coaching staff in preseason practices. He no longer favors the knee and will be a versatile threat up front in his first game back against Richmond Saturday, head coach Ted Roof said.

"He's the guy we recruited, plus some," Roof said. "I think the time off makes you realize how much you love the game. It changes your perspective. He used it that way to grow and mature as a football player."

Share and discuss “Oghobaase excited to play football again” on social media.