Miami tries to focus on football

Miami stayed busy this summer, but unfortunately for the Hurricanes, they spent the majority of their time dealing with trouble off the field.

No. 12 Miami doled out a number of suspensions in the offseason and will be without many key contributors from last year's team at the start of the season.

Before preseason practices began, head coach Larry Coker announced Aug. 1 that four players were suspended for the Sept. 4 season opener against Florida State for violating team policy.

"The message is pretty clear-we have high standards here," Coker said, according to the Miami Herald. "We're a program of quality kids. And these kids are good kids. They're not bad kids. But we've got to get this message across."

Two of the players-running back Tyrone Moss and receiver Ryan Moore-were an integral part of Miami's offensive attack a year ago, accounting for 701 yards rushing and 464 yards receiving, respectively. Linebacker James Bryant and receiver Rashaun Jones were also suspended.

Coker did not elaborate on the specifics, but said Moore's suspension is related to another suspension he received before last year's Peach Bowl-a game Miami lost to Louisiana State, 40-3, to finish 9-3 for the second consecutive season.

Coker extended Moore's suspension indefinitely Aug. 26 after Moore reportedly grabbed a woman by the neck and shoved her to the ground at 2 a.m. of the same day.

The suspensions were part of a long laundry list of summer woes, which included the loss of recruited quarterback Daniel Stegall, who instead signed with the New York Yankees, and linebacker Willie Williams, who transferred to West Los Angeles College.

The summer slump continued when reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks outside his apartment early one morning, and his roommate, free safety Brandon Meriweather, returned fire with a pistol. Meriweather did not receive a suspension because he had a legal permit for the firearm.

Despite all the their troubles, the Hurricanes began preseason practice on Aug. 7, ranked in the top 15. Returning starting quarterback Kyle Wright, who passed for 2,403 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, will lead the offense. On the other side of the ball, All-American candidates and defensive ends Baraka Atkins and Meriweather will anchor the defense.

The Hurricanes open the season against rival No. 11 Florida State Sept. 4 and could erase memories of the disastrous offseason with a win in the pivotal game.

"It's been a tough offseason," Coker said. "There are some things that always go on with a major college program that you have to deal with. But the key is to deal with them. That's what I want to do."

Share and discuss “Miami tries to focus on football” on social media.