Council establishes rules for homecoming access

This Saturday morning, access to West Campus quadrangles will not be just a swipe away for students.

At the Campus Council's general body meeting Thursday night, members unanimously passed a policy to restrict residence hall access to only the residents who live in each quad, three hours before and one hour after this weekend's football game.

Residents will be notified through e-mails sent by their respective Residence Coordinators Friday.

Junior Chris Hopper, vice president of Campus Council, said the policy was drafted in response to student concerns that were brought to the council's attention.

Hopper said students are worried about possible damages done to commons areas and unlocked bathrooms by the large crowd gathered for this weekend's game.

"Selective living groups are concerned because they have to pick up the tabs on damages done within their section," said Campus Council President Jay Ganatra, a senior.

Ganatra added that this is only a pilot program.

"Homecoming is a big weekend, it probably attracts the most non-Duke audiences," he said. "We wanted to test [the policy] out for one weekend."

Student responses will be collected next week through a Campus Council survey.

At its Thursday meeting, the council will decide whether the policy will be made permanent for all games, Ganatra said.

Senior Shaunte Henry, Central Campus representative, said she fears the policy will bring more inconvenience to students than the benefits of an increase in security.

"Students have card access, they can swipe each other in anyway," Henry said.

Sophomore Zach Goodman, Wannamaker Quadrangle representative, said the policy will be beneficial to students.

"It protects more than pisses people off," Goodman said, adding that it costs fraternities approximately $175 to clean up every time someone vomits on a toilet.

Sophomore Molly Bierman, a representative from Kilgo Quadrangle, said students will more likely have a positive response if they learn about the change ahead of time.

"It's not a major issue," said sophomore Dan Piech, an at-large council representative. "It's more psychological."

In other business:

Members unanimously agreed to adjust residential fees according to the inflation rate set by the University.

This will increase fees by less than $1 per student per semester, Ganatra said, adding that adjusting fees to inflation allows the Council to maintain its purchasing power.

Share and discuss “Council establishes rules for homecoming access” on social media.