SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils aim to stay unbeaten

After beating Harvard Saturday, Duke returns home tonight looking to keep two streaks alive.

The No. 5 Blue Devils have yet to lose this season, and they have won 27 straight games against unranked, non-conference opponents.

Duke (6-0-1) will get a chance to extend both of those streaks when it takes on UNC-Wilmington (4-1-1) tonight at 7 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium.

"The whole team is really keen on keeping an undefeated season," sophomore forward Mike Grella said. "They won't be one of our tougher opponents."

The Seahawks, however, come to Durham riding an undefeated run of five games, including a tie with Coastal Carolina last Saturday.

"UNC-W is a very young team and is a big challenge for a mid-week game," Duke head coach John Rennie said. "They are a very hardworking, blue-collar kind of team. They are very confident. They have had this game circled on their calendar for a long time."

To beat the Seahawks, Duke will need continued strong efforts from junior forward Spencer Wadsworth and Grella, who have been at the forefront of the Blue Devils' success so far this season.

"[The Seahawks] don't have one player that is an all-star," Wadsworth said. "They are all good players, and if we don't show up to play, they will beat us."

Grella currently leads the team with seven goals and is tied for the most goals scored in the ACC. Wadsworth, who notched the winning goal against the Crimson in the 53rd minute of Saturday's game, is tied for the most assists in the ACC.

"They've been doing a great job," Rennie said. "We are doing a very, very good job of creating goals."

Duke has scored at least three goals in four of its seven games so far this season, and it was held scoreless only once-a week ago in a double-overtime tie with Virginia Tech.

"Scoring is not a problem for us," Wadsworth said. "We are optimistic. We are getting better everyday."

With its offense playing well, it may be on the other end of the field where the Blue Devils have trouble. Duke's hard-earned win at Harvard came at a price.

"Our defense got a little banged up," Rennie said. "Three guys got injuries at Harvard. They are a very physical team."

Tonight's game is the first time the Blue Devils and UNC-W will meet since 1997, when Duke recorded a 6-2 victory.

The game tonight is the Blue Devils' last before three straight games against ACC opponents, beginning with Boston College Saturday.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils aim to stay unbeaten” on social media.