African leader details AIDS crisis

Benjamin Mkapa, former president of Tanzania, called on more developed countries to help alleviate Tanzania's healthcare crisis Tuesday night at Duke.

During his speech, "Challenges in Health and Education: Tanzania and the World," Mkapa said it was important to establish global health partnerships between the world's richest and poorest countries in the fight against HIV/AIDS and malaria.

"The responsibility is shared between the developing world and the developed world," Mkapa said.

More than 50 people gathered at the Fitzpatrick Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Medicine and Applied Sciences' Schiciano Auditorium.

Gilbert Merkx, vice provost for International Affairs, invited Mkapa and introduced the speaker.

Mkapa opened his speech by discussing the state of his homeland in 1948, when the United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The nation, which then had a population of 9 million, had only 64 state-run hospitals and a few volunteer hospitals, he said. "Back then every disease was killer, not just malaria and HIV/AIDS," Mkapa said.

Although Mkapa praised the progress his country has made since then, he highlighted several challenges the nation continues to face.

Tanzania's pressing need for schools, teachers and hospitals continues to undermine the country's development, he said.

Mkapa added that the problem is exacerbated by the fact that talented African teachers and healthcare professionals continue to leave Tanzania, lured by higher salaries in the United States and other more developed countries.

More African scientists and engineers are working in the United States than in Africa, Mkapa said.

"Even as we train more healthcare staff, more leave for greener pastures," Mkapa explained.

A key problem plaguing the Tanzanian healthcare infrastructure is a total deficit of 17,000 healthcare workers, compounded by the high cost of medicine and outdated hospital equipment.

The former president added that "the primary responsibility for undertaking transformation rests with individual African governments."

Mkapa said the cost of treating diseases like AIDS and malaria is unbearable for most countries in sub-Saharan Africa, adding that the burden of paying for medication could be subsidized by developed countries.

"In short, we must educate our people about the common stake in world citizenship," Mkapa said. "'If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich,'" he added, quoting former President John F. Kennedy.

Many audience members said they were impressed by Mkapa's ability to make broad global issues more accessible.

"He outlined the problems very well, as well as what Americans can do." said Sally Ong, president of Duke's International Association. "His message was relevant for the audience we had here."

Patricia Bartlett, who works at Duke University AIDS Research and Treatment center, praised Mkapa's speech.

"I wish he had said Tanzania is a peaceful nation," she said. "Americans are generally assuming that it's very dangerous to go to Africa, which is not true."

Harry Lyatuu, a Tanzanian native, said he was happy the former president "has committed himself to helping while out of office."

He said that although unpopular to Tanzanians at the time, Mkapa's decision to privatize much of the nation's healthcare ultimately benefitted the population.

Lyatuu also praised Mkapa's service as president.

"Since he was exposed to international affairs prior to taking office, he knew how to handle the problems," Lyatuu said.

Share and discuss “African leader details AIDS crisis” on social media.