ACLU to help those abused by ALE

Alcohol Law Enforcement became infamous for its raids last fall, and now some student leaders are preparing to fight a different kind of ALE intrusion--the violation of personal rights.

The American Civil Liberties Union at Duke will begin tabling Thursday to solicit complaints from students who believe their individual freedoms were impeded when they were cited by ALE.

The group held a similar campaign after 194 students received citations in Aug. 2005.

Although there have been fewer signs of ALE's presence this year, the ACLU at Duke will continue their efforts, said President Daniel Bowes, a senior.

"Last year, ALE demonstrated that they don't hold civil liberties in that high of a regard, and a lot of students felt threatened," Bowes said. "As long as we hear reports that this stuff is happening, we'll advertise."

Bowes said he received between 10 and 20 student responses last year about violations ranging from unreasonable search-and-seizure to sexual harassment and threats.

He forwarded what he considered to be the most serious incidents to Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta, ALE Director Mike Robertson and Shelagh Kenney, then-staff attorney for the ACLU of North Carolina.

"Our defense of civil liberties shouldn't be seen as an endorsement of underage drinking," Bowes added.

Robertson maintained that ALE responds to all complaints, but noted that concerned students should file them on an individual basis.

Administrators will continue working to inform students of their rights, Moneta said. He added that the effort will coincide with Provost Peter Lange's lecture series on privacy.

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant," Moneta said. "Shedding light on the challenges is going to be critical."

In another effort to inform students about their civil liberties, the ACLU at Duke hosted its third annual "A Student's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters" Wednesday night.

Attended by approximately 10 students, the event featured a film presentation and question-and-answer session with Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek and Duke University Police Department officers.

"I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about what to do during a police encounter, and I wanted to know my rights in protecting myself and keeping other students safe," said senior Mike Kralovec, who was in attendance. "The Duke police were very cooperative, helpful and well-informed."

Moneta said administrators must balance protection of student liberties with appropriate disciplinary responses to illegal activity.

"You try to hold fast to your sense of integrity of privacy about the rights of individuals but also recognize that the community rights are equally important," Moneta said. "You have to have a clear set of principles by which you live, but then you're tested every time you have another situation."

The administration supports forums such as Wednesday's that keep students well-informed, Wasiolek said.

"It's a win-win situation when students know their rights, so they don't overstep their bounds," she said.

"Anytime we learn about our rights and responsibilities under the law-that's a good thing," Wasiolek added.

Share and discuss “ACLU to help those abused by ALE” on social media.