RLHS grills approved for LDOC festivities

University officials have finalized the details regarding alcohol and grill use policies for the Last Day of Classes celebration April 26.

As in years past, Duke administrators and the LDOC Committee have agreed to designate the social event as "Bring Your Own Beverage," meaning students choosing to consume alcohol are expected to possess their own beverages with them at all times.

Students will not be allowed to distribute alcohol to each other.

In an effort to promote student safety, glass or common source containers will be prohibited, and officials are urging students to use plastic cups to hold beverages.

Students will be allowed to use Residence Life and Housing Services grills for barbeque purposes on the Clocktower Quadrangle only, confirmed Sue Wasiolek, dean of students and vice president for student affairs.

Students will not be permitted to use personal grills as they may pose fire hazards, she said.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta said last week's decision to ban student grilling for the event had a "logic to it that didn't last very long."

The alcohol and grilling policy announcement comes after months of planning and negotiating by the LDOC Committee, the A-team-an oversight group composed of administrators and students-and BlueSPARC, a division of the Dean of Students Office that aims to reduce the negative consequences of alcohol consumption.

"I am confident that these policies will not impinge in any way on the ability of Duke students to enjoy the Last Day of Classes," said senior Mark Middaugh, LDOC committee chair, in a statement.

"We want all students to enjoy LDOC in a safe manner. These policies, if enforced in a manner consistent with our ongoing discussions with BlueSPARC and the A-Team, will help to ensure student safety while maintaining LDOC's place as the best social event of the entire year."

Although Wasiolek noted that neither the A-team nor other members of the administration are "interested in confiscating anything," she said excessive amounts of alcohol-such as 24-packs of beer-might be taken.

"We would like to see students possessing a reasonable amount of alcohol," she said. "Carrying a case [of beer] is not considered a reasonable amount for personal consumption."

Wasiolek told The Chronicle last week that members of the A-team will be on hand to cut off alcohol distribution points on campus.

Click for related articles:

- Duke Police investigate alleged LDOC rape

- Forecast clouds LDOC plans

Although the party has traditionally been organized as a BYOB event, previous alcohol policies regarding the celebration have not focused on preventing destructive behavior, Wasiolek said. Following LDOC last year, an estimated eight students visited the Emergency Department for alcohol-related conditions, she added.

"We are trying to avoid those kinds of dangerous situations and take additional steps in the proactive direction," she explained.

Wasiolek noted that the revised LDOC alcohol policy is an effort to promote student safety and is not intended to combat underage drinking.

Students might be asked to provide organizers with identification if they are exhibiting destructive behavior.

"[However,] I don't anticipate that the first encounter with any student will be to ask for ID," Wasiolek said.

Officials also added that the outcome of LDOC will not have any influence over next year's tailgate policy.

Student leaders and administrators are currently in discussions regarding changes to the tailgate policies next year.

Share and discuss “RLHS grills approved for LDOC festivities” on social media.