Racism doesn't require DNA testing

I don't get it. What does DNA have to do with racism, misogyny, serving alcohol to minors or blatant disrespect for one's community? Just for a minute, forget about DNA testing or even the question of rape. There are established and profoundly disturbing dimensions of this incident being effectively shielded by the straw man of protecting the presumed innocent. By now we've all heard the 911 tape and read a neighbor's confirmation of racial epithets hurled that night. Not much question about that one. And I am sick to death or hearing the alleged victim-a young black woman, student, mother-summarily referenced only as an "exotic dancer" while a mob of drunk, out of control men is described as the "the highly successful men's lacrosse team."

I stood inside the Lincoln Memorial a couple of weeks ago and reread the words engraved on that stunning monument. They're enough to bring you to your knees. The basic dignity of all human life that Lincoln affirmed provides the premise upon which our identity as a nation was formed. That identity is something we continually define, individually and collectively, by the discourse and actions of our daily life.

Tamping down the significance of clear evidence of racism and misogyny is the very antithesis of integrity and courage. How much more consistent with Lincoln's challenge would it have been for university officials at the outset to simply say, "We deplore what happened to this young woman. We don't know whether the violence against her was committed by Duke students but we know it better not have been. We also know that neither racism nor violence against women will be tolerated by this university!" Period. Just that-without all the equivocating rhetoric in the next breath or the deafening silence in the next weeks.

Deborah Sebring

Clinical Associate, Psychiatry

Share and discuss “Racism doesn't require DNA testing” on social media.