Let students choose how to celebrate

Recently at the University of Maryland a bar offered "penny pints" during a two-hour period in which only women were permitted entry. As a response to such an event, female university administrators attended the bar in hopes of reducing binge drinking and vulnerability to sexual assault. While their actions were intended for good, it represents a growing sense of paternalism toward students on college campuses. The action of the UMD administrators can be seen well vis-à-vis Duke's LDOC situation. A line must be drawn somewhere between an individual's personal right to choose his or her actions and withholding that right. While there is a difference between personal responsibility on and off campus, personal choice on campus should be permitted as long as it falls within the university guidelines. In light of LDOC, I expect that the A-team will take whatever means necessary to prevent infractions of the university guidelines as long as it is not at the cost of personal choice. It seems this LDOC will be a test not only to Duke students' ability to have fun within university guidelines but also a test of the university's ability to monitor such guidelines without encroaching on student's rights.

Ivan Mothershead

IFC President

Share and discuss “Let students choose how to celebrate” on social media.