Islam characterization inaccurate

I appreciate Jeremy Marshall's candor in his column ("Time to challenge dogma," April 6), but unfortunately his assumptions and conclusion only serve to perpetuate a misunderstanding of Islam that many people share.

It is regrettable that the media automatically lumps every action committed by any Muslim anywhere in the world into a specter of some international militant conspiracy. Instead of investigating the causes for violence in the Muslim world, many are content to believe that Muslims are driven to commit atrocious acts simply because their religion preaches it. The verses of scripture that are intended to verify their claims are always the same ones taken out of context. The verse about fighting non-Muslims, for example, was intended simply to permit Muslims to fight in self-defense against those who wage war against them.

It is a historically undeniable fact that Islam brought peace to a warring civilization and rights to women in a society that treated them as second-class citizens. The Prophet Muhammad himself said the best among men are those who are best to their wives.

Marshall's interpretation of Islam as barbaric, discriminatory, backward and promoting violence against non-Muslims and women is untrue and wholly rejected by Islam. Yet, these are the attributes critics allege against Muslims, based on the behavior of so few. Muslims welcome dialogue on religious issues, but doing so based on amateur research and common misperceptions is unconstructive at best and dangerous at worst. Instead of reaching out to build understanding with Muslims, words such as Marshall's only serve to alienate Muslims and drive them away from any constructive dialogue. I urge anyone who truly desires to learn about Islam to talk to a Muslim or come to an MSA meeting.

Zubair Chao, Pratt '06

President, Muslim Students' Association

Share and discuss “Islam characterization inaccurate” on social media.