Forecast clouds LDOC plans

Rain or shine, the Last Day of Classes Committee is determined to celebrate the end of the school year outside.

"The committee is happy to announce that the concert will occur as scheduled on the main quad," LDOC Committee Chair Mark Middaugh, a senior, wrote in a statement.

In the face of forecasts that predict inclement weather throughout the day, the committee met Tuesday night to discuss possible rain plans for the concert. The National Weather Service projects a 40 percent chance of rain with a high of 52 degrees.

"Current forecasts indicate that the concert can continue as planned outdoors," Middaugh said. "We are really excited about having a great outdoor LDOC. These are great bands, and they are excited about playing on Duke's campus."

Middaugh added that the results of a final rain check at 8 a.m. today could still affect the location of the concert.

"If for some reason when we wake and we now have a high percentage of thunderstorms, we'll have an emergency meeting and move indoors," he said. "If we were to move inside, it would be in Page [Auditorium], but that's just not going to be the case."

Although the main concert featuring Guster, Rahzel and Matt Costa is scheduled to remain on Main West Quadrangle, the LDOC committee announced several changes due to the forecasts of cold and rain.

In an e-mail sent to all undergraduates, Middaugh said some outdoor activities-mainly a capella and student dance performances-were cancelled due to the possibility of rain.

"Not only would they be performing on a stage with no cover, but it would be a wet stage and in 55-degree weather," Middaugh said, explaining the reasoning behind the decision.

The LDOC committee will instead host a party in the Great Hall featuring live music from student bands-including Chromatic, Alexander Street, Running Lights and Starting Tuesday.

"This party in the Great Hall is going to add a great dimension to LDOC," Middaugh said, adding that "Bring Your Own Beverage" policies will still be enforced.

In a break from tradition, no t-shirts will be handed out at this year's LDOC. "It was a budgetary decision made early on in the process," Middaugh said. "We decided that focusing on the bands and daytime programming was our top priority."

Junior Will Carlson speculated that a concert in Page would be unsuccessful.

"I bet no one is going to go to Page and sit there-Page doesn't have a good vibe," Carlson said. "People are going to stay outside and drink."

Share and discuss “Forecast clouds LDOC plans” on social media.