Chrest, Huether form strong bond

When attacker Katie Chrest and goalie Megan Huether's senior seasons culminate later this year, it will not only conclude their illustrious four-year careers at Duke, but it will also mark the end of a longer history of playing together.

Chrest and Huether have been teammates on various teams since they met in a recreational league all-star game in eighth grade. The two then went on to play on the Skywalker club team in Maryland throughout high school.

Before their junior years, Chrest changed high schools and joined Huether at Maryvale Prep, where Huether had been attending since her freshman year. Huether said she let Chrest know about the school but did not try to influence her friend's decision either way.

"Even though being able to be with Megan was a plus, I based my choice on academics and the fact that it was closer to home," Chrest said.

Chrest and Huether also found themselves making the same decision about which college to attend, but Huether said they again made their choices on their own.

"We talked about our options together and evaluated our choices, but we made our decisions separately," Huether said. "I committed first and Katie made her decision about three weeks later."

Their success at Duke-where they have each garnered individual accolades and helped the Blue Devils advance to the NCAA Tournament the past three seasons-carried over from their high school playing days. At Maryvale Prep, the duo led the lacrosse team to a victory in the IAAM Championship and a second place ranking in the state during their senior season.

Although the two play on opposite ends of the field, they both said each has had a significant impact on the other's game, especially during practice.

"Our time in practice is most memorable for me because that is when we get to go against each other," Huether said. "Whenever she attacks the goal and fires shots against me, I get to practice against the best and that is when I improve the most."

Chrest added their time in practice is always fun because they get to square off against one another and experiment with new tricks.

"Megan is really creative," Chrest said. "She'll come up with all sorts of crazy plays to try out in practice."

The two are also instrumental in leading the Blue Devils. This season, head coach Kerstin Kimel asked Chrest and Huether, among other players on the team, to be role models across the field in order to give her team a diversified leadership structure.

"I think we both have leadership qualities in different ways," Huether said. "Katie is more of an overall and vocal team leader. She is more emotional while I am more strategic."

Even though both said that they were closer friends off the field in high school than they are now in college, their relationship on the field has never wavered.

"We can read each other very well on the field," Chrest said. "We are each other's biggest supporters and we have a ton of respect for each other."

Share and discuss “Chrest, Huether form strong bond” on social media.