Suicide shakes med community

Second-year medical student Carrie Largent died in an apparent early-morning suicide March 11. She was 25.

Largent, a 2002 alumna of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who graduated Phi Beta Kappa, was buried near her home in Chadds Ford, Pa., according to an obituary on the Grieco Family Funeral Homes website.

School of Medicine officials released a letter March 13, notifying the Duke community of the incident.

"Our thoughts go out to Carrie's family and friends, and we encourage our faculty, staff and students to offer support to each other at this difficult time," wrote Dr. Edward Halperin, vice dean of the School of Medicine.

"We will keep them in our prayers.. We will honor and respect the memory of Carrie, a member of the Duke family, as we offer comfort and support to each other," Halperin added.

Largent's family held an 11:00 a.m. mass burial service Thursday, March 16 at Saint Maximilian Kolbe Church in West Chester, Pa. Largent was laid to rest at St. Patrick Cemetery in Kennett Square, Pa.

Halperin, along with Dr. Caroline Haynes, assistant clinical professor in the psychiatry and behavioral sciences department, have met with various first- and second-year medical school students in the past few days.

According to the letter, "a comprehensive group of counseling, psychological support, social work, pastoral and bereavement counseling services" will be available for members of the School of Medicine community.

"You have my word, as an officer of the School of Medicine and as a fellow parent, that no effort will be spared in caring for and supporting. Duke [students] through this difficult time," Halperin wrote.

Contributions in Largent's memory may be made to the Duke University Medical Center Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.

Largent is survived by her mother, father, brother and two sisters.

No information is being released regarding the nature of Largent's suicide, confirmed Sue Wasiolek, dean of students.

"To honor her and her family, we are letting it go as it is," Wasiolek explained.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta said that aside from "working closely with the medical school at this time," the University's Counseling and Psychological Services office is doing "nothing out of the ordinary" in response to the incident.

"We're always vigilant with CAPS to help identify people who are thinking about taking their own lives," he said.

Duke University Police Department and Durham Police Department officials did not respond to requests for comment.

Largent's death is the first suicide in the Duke community since December 1999 when Allen Dewey, a professor in the electrical engineering department, was found dead in his car, parked in a field off Mount Moriah Rd.

The last student to take his own life while enrolled at the University was Brian Selsky, an advanced graduate student in the Literature Program, who hung himself in October 1997.

Share and discuss “Suicide shakes med community” on social media.