Storrs aims to 'stem tide' of tuition, other expenses

Junior Thomas Storrs, candidate for Duke Student Government president, envisions the ideal person for DSG's high post as a "consumer activist" committed to embodying the student voice.

"It's a position that gives you a pulpit from which you can press the University to make changes," said Storrs, a junior economics major. "In years past, the president has been a liaison between the administration and the students. The president shouldn't be a liaison. It should be an advocate for the student."

At the heart of his agenda, Storrs hopes to "stem the tide" of increasing costs for students by standing up to the administration against rising tuition, mandatory dining plans, campus construction and other fees.

His platform also focuses on strengthening Duke's relationship with Durham by working to increase business for off-campus eateries, expanding circulation of local newspapers on campus and reaching out to the community.

As the third prong of his program, Storrs hopes to utilize DSG to enhance Duke's social scene and boost attendance for athletics.

In a guest commentary in The Chronicle last June, Storrs proposed several solutions to halt rising student tuition-including reforming the dining plan and urging the University to set a precedent against annual tuition increases.

"Duke seems to think it's all right to increase tuition every year by five percent because that's what the Ivy League does," Storrs explained. "If we can break away from that cartel of elite schools, then Duke's future would be great even if it's slightly painful in the short run."

As for dining, Storrs thinks that the key to improvement is to eliminate mandatory meal plans after freshman year. "The food point monopoly stifles competition," he noted. "Without mandatory plans, business in Durham would increase, competition in on-campus eateries would increase and food quality and service would improve."

Storrs added that the mandatory meal plans encourage students to spend money extravagantly.

"We as students spend so much each year, and Duke sucks up so much of it," he said, adding that if the Durham community benefitted more from the money, the city would be a better place to live.

Aside from economic concerns, Storrs also emphasizes increasing the number of spaces on West Campus-such as fifth floor McClendon Tower and the Intramural Building-to house student parties.

Storrs said he would stay in touch with students through weekly office hours when constituents' could voice their concerns.

"I want to broadcast all the DSG meetings on Cable 13 and over the Internet," he added. "It's a good way for students to hold the elected people accountable."

A born and bred Blue Devil, Storrs grew up in Greensboro, N.C. In his spare time, Storrs enjoys hunting, fishing and playing squash. He calls himself a "political junkie" because of his interest in political literature and news.

Storrs is an active member of the Duke in Durham Watershed Initiative and served as Chronicleer for the off-campus fraternity Delta Phi Alpha-formerly Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

Senior Ryan Turner, former vice president of Delta Phi Alpha, said Storrs is a dedicated and dependable leader.

"Thomas has directed many social and philanthropic projects for our group," Turner said. "I know that he'll bring the same creativity, vision and candor to DSG."

Senior Sara Oliver, publicity chair of the Engineering Student Government, said she is certain Storrs is the person for the job.

"Storrs is one of the most approachable people I have ever met, and when you talk to him you know he is listening to you and not just filtering through for his own agenda," Oliver said. "He has the appropriate balance of sincerity and strongness necessary to take things seriously and get things done."

Share and discuss “Storrs aims to 'stem tide' of tuition, other expenses” on social media.