Show your cultured side with Valentine's offerings from the fine arts

At a time of year when regional rivals square off to assert their athletic prowess, Duke and her neighbors are taking their competitive instincts to another rabble-rousing and crowd-pleasing realm-big-band jazz.

The Duke Jazz Ensemble, led by Director John Brown, will perform with ensembles from North Carolina Central University and the University of North Carolina for the third annual Valentine's Day Jazz Festival. Sponsored in part by local jazz radio station WNCU, the first half of the perfomance will showcase each big band. Afterward, the three bands will meld together into a touted "all-star ensemble"; faculty and students will be encouraged to join in for a mega-jam-session.

For a sampling of the Triangle's best jazz-and yet another opportunity to see Duke's own J.B. in fine form-take your V-day date to the Hayti Heritage Center in downtown Durham this Saturday.

The Third Annual Valentine's Day Jazz Festival will take place on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 8 p.m. Tickets are on sale at the Hayti Heritage Center, and can be purchased by calling (919) 683-1709. Admission is $10 for seniors and students and $15 for all others.

Share and discuss “Show your cultured side with Valentine's offerings from the fine arts” on social media.