Rubenstein, Silvers donate $2M to Duke Hillel

The University's Hillel-the national organization that supports Jewish life on college campuses-received a $2-million donation to ensure the continuation of student activities at the Freeman Center for Jewish Life, President Richard Brodhead announced Monday.

The Board of Trustees approved the naming of the University's Hillel, which will become the Rubenstein-Silvers Hillel.

The new designation is in honor of the $2-million donors Mitchell Rubenstein and wife Laurie Silvers, founders of the Sci-Fi Channel.

The Board of Trustees approved the naming at its Feb. 24 meeting.

The gift was donated as part of a fundraising campaign to create an endowment for the Freeman Center's programming activities, said Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs.

The fundraising initiative began last fall and will continue for the next five years. Freeman Center administrators seek to garner $5 million.

The donation, which Moneta called an "anchor gift" for the campaign, will be paid over the course of an undisclosed period of time, he said. Moneta added that the Rubenstein-Silvers gift, together with additional pledges already received by the Freeman Center, puts the campaign "halfway" to accomplishing its monetary goal.

"Mitchell Rubenstein and Laurie Silvers have enhanced student life throughout the Duke community by their keen interest and enthusiastic support," Brodhead said in a statement. "Their gift will help assure that Jewish student life at Duke will continue to flourish through cultural and educational programming, which will enrich the experience of all of our students."

Jewish students currently make up approximately 10 percent of the Duke undergraduate student body and six percent of the graduate and professional student population, according to the website Hillel.org.

Rubenstein and Silvers, parents of a Duke junior, have previously provided monetary gifts to the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences and the Freeman Center, said Peter Vaughn, executive director for alumni and development communications. Vaughn declined to disclose the amount of Rubenstein and Silvers' previous gifts.

The South Floridian media juggernauts, whose current ventures include radio stations, cable television systems and internet properties, are both involved in university oversight.

Rubenstein currently serves as chair for the Freeman Center advisory board. Silvers is a trustee for the University of Miami.

Executive Director of the Freeman Center Jonathan Gerstl, who also manages the Center's development affairs, was unavailable to comment.

Share and discuss “Rubenstein, Silvers donate $2M to Duke Hillel” on social media.