Gunshots fired near campus

Shots were fired on Erwin Road shortly after 7 p.m. Monday near Sam's Quik Stop, a few hundred feet from Main Street.

The victim of the shooting-driving a white Lexus-collided with another vehicle while fleeing the scene, Durham Police Department reported in a statement Monday night.

No injuries have been reported in the shooting or the car accident.

"I just heard three or four banging sounds," said junior Christine Lim, who was in a car stopped at a nearby intersection immediately before the shots were fired.

"I just thought it was fireworks or something."

The unnamed victim told police that he was at Sam's when an unidentified vehicle opened fire on his sedan.

"The victim stated he was at the quick mart when an unknown green Suburban or Explorer-type vehicle, that was occupied by four black males, fired shots out of the front passenger window of the vehicle into the front passenger window of the victim's car," DPD said in the statement.

Lim said after she heard the shots, a white sedan sped past the car she was in, subsequently rear-ending the vehicle in front of her.

According to DPD's statement, the collision happened at the intersection of Erwin Road and W. Pettigrew Street.

After the collision, the driver of the Lexus reportedly moved around the other car and immediately drove off.

"The white car left so quickly," Lim said. "Someone in the car was really excited about getting away."

Shortly after the collision, Lim said she saw an SUV leave the scene but added that she was uncertain whether or not the second car was related to the shooting.

Lim said it took only moments for the passengers she was with to realize that the loud noises they had heard were gunshots.

"The driver [of the car Lim was in] was like, 'Oh my god, I think that was a shooting,'" she said. "We pulled into [a side street], and the driver called 911."

DPD located the shooting victim after the car accident but declined to provide details beyond what was stated in the press release.

The victim in the white Lexus told police that he did not recognize the suspects in the SUV and did not know why anyone would attempt to harm him.

No suspects have yet been identified, and the investigation into the aggravated assault is ongoing, DPD officers said.

Share and discuss “Gunshots fired near campus” on social media.