Duke splits pair of matches in final home stand

Despite individual successes, the Duke grapplers were unable to pull through in their final home match of the season against Virginia (11-5, 3-1 in the ACC) Saturday. Duke (2-10, 0-5) remained competitive throughout the match, but eventually fell 25-13 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

The conference loss came after a tight 17-15 win over Gardner Webb (12-11) earlier in the day.

Following freshman Wade Van Sickle's 3-1 victory in the heavyweight class, the Blue Devils held a 13-6 lead over Gardner Webb. But the Bulldogs took two straight matches at the 125- and 133-pound weight classes to cut the Duke advantage to 13-12 and it appeared the Blue Devils could drop yet another close match.

Sophomore Wes Kuser, however, would not let that happen as he secured a major decision victory at the 141-pound weight class, giving Duke a 17-12 lead.

"We're really starting to come together as a unit," Kuser said. "All the stuff we're practicing is beginning to pay off and you can see all the guys developing."

The success did not carry over into the evening match against Virginia, which was also competing in its second match of the day. The Blue Devils began with close losses at the 125- and 133-pound weight classes, and the Cavaliers took a quick 6-0 lead.

Kuser stepped up again, putting Duke on the board in the 141-pound matchup. The sophomore took the lead in the third period to defeat Virginia's Nick Alparone, 7-2.

Junior Daniel Shvartsman followed with a major decision victory at 149 pounds to give Duke its only lead of the match. Shvartsman added three takedowns in the third period to extend his 6-3 lead to the final 15-7 margin.

"149 was excellent," Duke head coach Clar Anderson said. "Their coach even mentioned how tough Shvartsman was."

Duke led 7-6 going into the 157-pound match, but freshman Cameron Harms lost his bout when he gave up six points in the final period. The Cavaliers continued with wins at 165 and 174 pounds over Aaron Glover and Levi Craig, respectively, to take back control of the match.

"Levi Craig was a disappointing loss," Anderson said. "He's the only senior in the lineup and had beaten [Virginia's Mike Grogan] previously."

Although the Blue Devils' 184-pounder, Dan Tulley, suffered his second loss of the day, the 197-pound matchup provided Duke with its most impressive win of the match. Sophomore Konrad Dudziak scored the first fall of the night, pinning Virginia's Brent Jones in the second period.

"[Jones] was slated as one of the top in the ACC and has brought down some big guys, so that was a great win," Anderson said.

The Cavaliers countered with the second fall of the match in the heavyweight bout, pinning freshman Wade Van Sickle to cap their win at 25-13.

"It's definitely a very young team, but these guys are gaining confidence," Anderson said. "We've been competitive at every weight class. With some more years under them, they are going to start seeing more success."

Share and discuss “Duke splits pair of matches in final home stand” on social media.