SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke sits in 14th after 18

The 10th-ranked men's golf team struggled to an 8-over-par 296 during the first day of the Puerto Rico Classic and sits in 14th place, trailing leader Alabama by 16 strokes. The event, being played at the Westin Rio Mar Country Club, is Duke's first tournament of the spring season.

Two bright spots for the Blue Devils were the play of senior Nathan Smith and sophomore Michael Quagliano. Smith, who tied for second at this event last year, fired a 2-under-par 70 and is currently in a tie for 10th place, only two strokes off the lead.

Quagliano only played in two rounds this fall, but played well enough during qualifying to earn a spot in the lineup. He backed up his recent performance by recording an even-par round of 72 and is currently tied for 25th.

Junior Jake Grodzinsky, currently ranked sixth in the country, rebounded from a poor front nine with a 1-under back nine and finished tied for 38th with a 74.

Ryan Blaum struggled mightily Sunday. The senior, who is ranked 20th nationally and was one of Duke's most consistent golfers in the fall, carded an 80, more than eight strokes above his average from the fall. Last spring, Blaum shot an even-par 216 and finished tied for 18th at this event.

Share and discuss “Duke sits in 14th after 18” on social media.