273 to join IFC fraternities

The Interfraternity Council released bid results Wednesday night-one week after IFC's rush season officially ended.

The 16 IFC chapters extended a total of 405 bids to 337 men. Of those, 273 students accepted bids, and 132 declined.

Individual chapter results varied, with numbers as low as five and as high as 30.

Although recruitment ended Jan. 30, IFC groups withheld from immediately disclosing the number of bids accepted until the end of a week-long deferment period-an new addition to this year's rush process.

"We waited a whole week because we wanted to get a complete number, and the deferral period was up Feb. 8," said senior Jay McKenna, president of IFC.

The week-long deferment period extended the bidding process so chapters could bring in more members if they wanted to, McKenna explained.

"I think it worked out spectacularly," McKenna said. "I think it was a great rush."

Last year, the organization did not disclose its bid information.

But senior Brian Vetter, IFC assistant vice president for recruitment and pledging, said last year was an "exception that was made based on the decision of the chapter presidents."

Each year, IFC chapter presidents collaborate to decide on the specifics of the rush process.

McKenna said this year's shortened rush had mixed consequences for the groups.

"I think that it may have helped some chapters, and it may have hurt some chapters," he noted. "Once we get feedback from each of the chapters, we'll evaluate it."

Pi Kappa Phi-the newest member of IFC-fulfilled its quota of 30 new pledges.

"Since we're the new fraternity, we definitely had a lot of growing pains, but we learned quick," said senior Matt Zullo, president of Pi Kapp.

"We were very happy with the class we brought in-definitely the highest quality," he added.

Delta Tau Delta and Chi Psi, both of which received housing for the coming fall, saw mixed results in bid acceptances. DTD welcomed 22 new members, while Chi Psi received seven pledges.

Among the other chapters that received relatively low bid numbers was Delta Kappa Epsilon, which reported 12 acceptances.

"We didn't have a target number. We like the guys we have," said junior Matthew Hoekstra, president of DKE.

Psi Upsilon-the only co-ed IFC group on campus-received five bid acceptances. Despite the low number, junior Eric Rogstad, president of Psi Upsilon, said he had no target number in mind prior to rush and is satisfied with the turnout.

"We're only having one senior graduating, and this is enough for us to grow," Rogstad said. "We're happy with the people that we have."

Duke's two off-campus fraternities also reported somewhat mixed results. Delta Phi Alpha, formerly known as Sigma Alpha Epsilon, took in 20 new pledges, while Eta Prime, formerly Kappa Sigma, reported receiving 11 accepted bids Feb. 1.

Share and discuss “273 to join IFC fraternities” on social media.