Exchange, medical programs anchor Duke-China ties

Tong Ren, who lived in China all her life before coming to Duke, admitted she found the adjustment to America more difficult than she initially thought it would be.

When Ren, a third-year electrical engineering student, arrived at the University in 2003, she attended the International House's orientation and received a handout warning new arrivals of a three-month adjustment period stemming from cultural differences.

"I thought three months was a long time, and I am a very adaptable person," Ren said. "But even now-three years later-I am still coping with it. When I go to China this winter, I will feel different than a native Chinese person."

For students from China, coming to Duke to study can be quite a shock. "I am changing my customs and getting used to living here," said Bin Liu, a second-year graduate student in electrical engineering. "I prefer Chinese food, but I'm getting used to burgers."

Even though it took time, Liu is acclimating to the American way, including differences in academia.

As Duke officials focus more on becoming a global University, administrators are trying to make institutional in-roads into China-an effort that includes working with exchange students like Liu.

Combined with the University's focus on global health and growing support for Chinese studies, exchange programs are evidence that Duke and China are closer than ever before.

And with confidence in the shared interests of the University and the Asian nation, officials expect that the relationship between the two will only strengthen in the next few years.

Culture shock

Aside from having to cope with two very dissimilar cultures, Chinese students also find higher education in the United States to be very different than universities in China. Students said the primary difference between the United States and China academically is funding-based.

"Here you have more opportunities. You can access the most advanced technologies, and you have the money to buy the most expensive instruments," Liu said.

Since there are more students in China, the ratio between faculty members and students is much lower in the United States, Ren said. "It's common to have over 100 students per instructor, [so] it's more difficult to interact on a personal basis, and it's more structured learning," she added.

Some students noted the difficulties scholars in China face when applying to U.S. schools. "It is not easy for the students in China to enter [the U.S.] because competition is very hard," said Candong Cheng, a third-year graduate student in electrical engineering. "That's why many students want to finish undergraduate education in China and then come to graduate school in the U.S."

Officials and students agree China's communist government usually does not play a hand in individual students' decisions regarding higher education.

"Communist dogma is no longer a factor at Chinese Universities, nor is [Chinese Communist] Party control," said Gil Merkx, vice provost for international affairs. "But the national, regional and local governments-all controlled by the Party-have important roles in determining the resources available to each institution."

Chinese studies

University administrators and faculty have responded to the increased interest in China-on both global and student levels-by increasing the number of professors focusing on Chinese studies and expanding research and training programs.

"If you want to call yourself a global university, you have to pay attention to what is happening in China and, more importantly, put resources into building your East-Asian faculty," said Ralph Litzinger, director of the Asian/Pacific Studies Institute.

"With respect to language instruction, the demand for Chinese language instruction exceeded anyone's expectations this semester," said George McLendon, dean of the faculty of arts and sciences. "We'll almost certainly be hiring additional people with a special focus in China and its neighbors. Is that going to be next year? I don't know."

Although administrators are currently figuring out ways to expand language instruction, officials agree the Chinese program has already come a long way, particularly over the past decade.

"We have definitely changed quite a bit in the past 10 years," said Carolyn Lee, coordinator of the Chinese program for the Asian and African languages and literature department. "When I first came here, the Chinese program had a little bit more than 80 students and only seven language courses. Now we have at least 14 language courses and more than 400 students a year."

The University has authorized the hiring of two additional Chinese language faculty to compensate for next year's enrollment, McLendon said. "We have a firm foundation on which to build. We're not starting from zero," he said.

Across the globe

The University is also developing academic and professional programs abroad to strengthen ties with China.

Duke University Medical Center administrators have hinted of a partnership with a school in Beijing, similar to one already established with a medical facility in Singapore. "We are extraordinarily interested in Asia because there is so much going on there right now," said Robert Taber, vice chancellor for DUMC.

In addition, a deal was inked this year between the Fuqua School of Business and Tsinghua University's School of Economics and Management in Beijing that established a new exchange program.

Officials designed the program in hopes of creating a lasting academic bond between the two schools. Each institution will allow up to three of its students to attend the partner school each semester for at least three years.

"Our goal is to make sure it is a good opportunity for both parties, for it to be a productive exchange," said Bertrand Guillotin, program director for the international center at Fuqua. "We don't have any plans at this point to expand it to something larger than that, but that could change."

Guillotin added that this year will be the first year Fuqua will offer Global Academic Travel Experience courses in China.

GATE courses are designed to enrich students' understanding of international business. During the first six weeks, students study the business, culture, economy and politics of a country or region at Duke. Then students travel for 10 to 16 days to study and gain first-hand knowledge about their chosen areas.

In Spring 2006, a group of students and staff members will go to Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an and Hong Kong. "This will be an opportunity to strengthen the University's relationship with China," Guillotin noted.

Share and discuss “Exchange, medical programs anchor Duke-China ties” on social media.