Transfer student against amending policy

In The Chronicle article entitled "Displaced frosh favor proposed transfer policy" (Nov. 14, 2005) an important issue was brought to my attention. As a transfer student who arrived to Duke this semester, I feel this proposal to revise the admissions policy is unfair to those of us who have had to abide by it.

For one, many transfers worked very hard to matriculate at Duke. I remember at my previous institution the amount of pressure I placed upon myself to be eligible to transfer to Duke and to be on track with Duke's demanding curricular requirements. Transfer admissions is a far riskier and more competitive process simply because the space is so limited. It was this drive that made it all the more fulfilling when I finally did receive that admission letter.

However, Kirstin Coleman's reasons for staying are more personal. She says that she wishes to stay at Duke because "[Duke] is all that [she knows]." To be honest, I forged strong friendships at my previous institution, and at that time it was all I knew. Now I look back and see how much I have gained from spending those two semesters at a different university. Friends can be made anywhere, and one should be open to new experiences.

Secondly, this one-time exception might put future transfers at a disadvantage. If these displaced freshmen are allowed to apply as transfers early, what happens to those who are currently applying to transfer to Duke? Will these early transfers be counted toward the total number of eligible transfer spots in the fall? If so, it hurts the chances of those eager to transfer to Duke in the upcoming fall.

This is a very significant case for the administration. Sometimes exceptions are rightful. But in this case, the consequence of spending time at another university is not a dire situation-it is an opportunity for growth. And to allow these displaced freshmen to apply as transfers early does a disservice to those who currently are transfers and to those who wish to be future transfers.

Jason Liu

Pratt '08

Share and discuss “Transfer student against amending policy” on social media.