Students discouraged by basketball

Duke basketball games should be fun, right?

This past Saturday, at the Duke vs. Davidson basketball game, three freshman girl friends from my hall had an experience that made me question whether Duke basketball games are all they are really cracked up to be.

Arriving at Cameron for their first Duke game, they fully expected to not only find a seat but to enjoy a fun-filled event that would define the undergraduate "Duke experience." However, these expectations were crushed.

Upon entering the stadium, the girls did not know exactly where to go. Instead of facilitating the process, the ushers abruptly told the inexperienced freshman to "just leave." The only helpful person, a line monitor, attempted to direct these girls to a seat in the upper corner of the student section. There, they were greeted with rude remarks from Duke students that escalated to swearing and physical aggression. As some students began throwing insults and rude remarks at the obviously confused freshmen, one tall male student forcefully pushed one of the girls, only five feet tall, as if she were a real threat to his "game visibility." This eventually led to the three girls leaving in tears before the game even began. They described feeling disconnected from the Duke University they once felt so excited to be affiliated with.

After returning from the game, the girls were clearly down-hearted, dejected and hurt. They didn't know when or if they would return to watch another game. This is an unfortunate end to anyone's first Duke basketball experience.

Duke has a reputation for its basketball legacy, as well as a devoted community of fans. Sadly, it was not the other team's fans that were rude and obnoxious, but our own fellow Dukies. I am appalled and disappointed by what happened, and I hope if these girls choose to attend another game, their experience will be one that would make a Duke fan proud.

Bobby Owen

Trinity '09

Share and discuss “Students discouraged by basketball” on social media.