Pitchforks apologize for song

The Pitchforks would like to express our deepest apologies to Ibtihaj Muhammad and anyone else who was offended by our performance in the Body Rock concert Friday night. We understand that several of those in attendance were offended by the lyrics of "Let's Go" and we have taken your concerns to heart.

The Pitchforks have always been and remain committed to the cultural and artistic diversity on Duke's campus, and we are deeply disappointed if our performance at Body Rock gave a different impression. We would also like to offer our apologies to the organizers of Body Rock if our performance detracted from the event. Their cause is an invaluable one at Duke, and we hope that our mistake does not draw attention away from the issue that they hoped to publicize. If Duke students have any questions or concerns, please e-mail us at pitchforks@duke.edu.

Amar Shah

Trinity '06

President, The Pitchforks 

SASS administrator apologizes

Last Friday night, Sexual Assault Support Services and the Women's Center presented a wonderful concert called Body Rock. It was a fundraiser for the Durham Crisis Response Center and the Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence. In it there were dedications to the survivors, advocates, activists and supporters who do this work. It was an event to raise awareness on campus to end sexual assault and relationship violence and a chance for diverse campus performance groups to come together and speak out in support. What it was not was a place for Li'L Jon and the Eastside Boys. It was not a place for a song with violent lyrics and racially derogatory and offensive language.

Lyrics like, "I mop up the flo wit em/And I kick in the door and let the .44 get em" and "Gotta spit for the murderas/And the killas/And the thugstas" didn't hold the spirit of the event or the cause the event supports.

It did insult the tireless effort of the people who combat this culture and the possible survivors of violence in the audience. Tying these verses together with a chorus that uses profane language and the "N word" makes me wonder, at what point did we lose sight of our accountability and blindly succumb to popularity? Not only that, why was it an all-male group that chose this subject matter for their performance.

Since I've arrived on campus I continue to hear people use the word "miscommunication." When can we get past this reactionary interpretation and focus on what proper communication is and the responsibility that comes along with it? When will we begin own our actions and the effect that has on others? The miscommunication seems to be between those who continue to make bad choices and then make inadequate excuses.

We cannot ignore the oppressive nature of racism, violence, heterosexism, and privilege.

It is crucial in maintaining a climate that is safe, inoffensive, and inclusive.

It will not be the case this time, as I will own the actions of these men. I want to attempt to be an ally and address the performance and those who were affected. For anyone offended, I apologize. For the men who understand the importance of their actions, I apologize. For the volunteers who worked long and hard on preparing the show, the other performance groups, and the student coordinator who tied it all together, I apologize.

To the folks who came to talk to me about the effect that performance had, I thank you for your strength and sincerity. It is time for a change in perspective that moves past the popular and into the purposeful. If you're wondering how, my office is at the Women's Center in Few Fed. Stop by anytime.

Chris Massenburg

Assistant Coordinator, SASS

Editor's note: The 350 word limit was waived for this letter.

Share and discuss “Pitchforks apologize for song” on social media.