Column denies non-drinking options

I had mixed feelings when I read Joe Cox's column denouncing the supposedly self-righteous nerds who were disappointed the students cited by Alcohol Law Enforcement got off. I would place myself in the middle of his spectrum of uptight, stay-at-home losers and "cool" kids who actually had a good time at college. I enjoy going out, drinking and having a good time, and, as Mr. Cox would agree, doing so can impart a feeling of superiority over those people who always stay at home:

"I'm out having a good time, being a college student, making the most of my youth, and those poor, unpopular suckers don't know what they're missing, right?"

On the other hand, I find it disturbing that Mr. Cox believes the only way to have fun and "have a life" is to go out to Shooters and get rip-roaring drunk. Yes, alcohol makes things easy, but if it is the only way you have fun, then it is you who has the sad life. There are other fulfilling, meaningful ways to enjoy yourself and have a life. And when you graduate, which night will you remember more: the drunken, forgotten night at Shooters or the night you stayed up with your friends discussing philosophy and life goals?

I hold no ill-will toward the people involved in the ALE incident. I can think of nothing scarier than one night of fun tarnishing your permanent record. If anything, I was relieved the incident turned out as it did, as the students involved are most-likely hard-working, deserving yet still in need of a good time. However, too many people throw caution to the winds, and the ALE incident was a much-needed wake up call. There are consequences to drinking.

Yes, almost everyone at Duke engages in underage drinking, but that does not change the fact that it is still breaking the law. It is a stupid law and will never stop people, but don't be surprised when you get in trouble for breaking it.

Laurel Redding

Trinity '06

Share and discuss “Column denies non-drinking options” on social media.