Still rocking, Stones thrill Duke

For Angie Wolff, one time just isn't enough-and age doesn't matter.

Anxiously awaiting the start of the Rolling Stones concert in Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday night, the Danville, Va. resident admitted she bought tickets for her second Stones concert and made the trip to Duke just to see notorious 62-year-old frontman Mick Jagger sing some of the most renowned lyrics in rock and roll history-and shake his famous hips.

"Mick is the most sexual creature in the universe," Wolff said with a grin, noting she has been a fan for 26 years.

Wolff was one of the nearly 40,000 people-young and old-who packed Wallace Wade for the much anticipated Stones stop in Durham on the band's "A Bigger Bang" tour.

Wearing T-shirts with the band's big-tongued logo and enjoying overflowing cups of beer, fans poured into Wallace Wade to hear tunes they grew up listening to-or were introduced to by their parents.

"Yuppies, hippies and college students-I was surprised to see a mixed crowd," said Wayne Wagner, a Hillsborough, N.C. resident and Stones fan since 1973.

Like Wagner, Tim Spayde of Virginia first heard the band's music in the early 1970s. He brought his 14-year-old son Bryon to see the show Saturday.

It was the first Stones concert for both father and son.

Bryon said he was excited "just seeing them for the first time."

"He wants to see if Mick Jagger's lips are really as big as they appear," his dad chimed in with a laugh.

Hundreds of Duke students also showed up for the concert. Some admitted they were not huge fans of the band before the show; they were in it for the cultural-even historical-experience.

"I wasn't going to miss the biggest thing happening at Duke in who knows how long," sophomore Danny Mintzer said.

During the nearly two-hour performance-which featured a five-tiered stage, fireworks and the Stones' biggest hits-fans danced and cheered, sending exuberant echoes into the night.

Lee Whitman, an attorney from Raleigh, proudly displayed his VIP pass. As the band's local counsel-a job he got thanks to a reference from a friend in a Los Angeles firm-Whitman said he received free tickets to the concert.

"If they need legal services, we help them. If not, they say, 'Enjoy the show,'" Whitman explained.

"I am stoked to be the local lawyer for the greatest rock and roll band in the world," he added.

Despite the carefree atmosphere inside the stadium, police said they responded to several problematic situations at the event.

Officers from the Duke University Police Department issued "a few arrests and/or citations," said Leanora Minai, senior public relations specialist for DUPD. One man was arrested for driving while impaired; another was cited for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Minai said none of the citations or arrests were Duke student-related.

An Alcohol Law Enforcement official confirmed Tuesday that about seven ALE officers issued eight citations for underage possession of alcohol and/or possession of a false identification at the concert. Minai said she was unaware that ALE was at the event.

Durham police also charged seven people with trademark infringement after they were discovered selling bootlegged Stones T-shirts at the show.

Some concertgoers leaving the premises at the end of the show complained that the 57-bus shuttle system set up by Duke was poorly run, making it difficult and time-consuming to get to their cars.

Minai said there were no major issues with transportation, but she noted that with 40,000 fans leaving the stadium at one time, some congestion was unavoidable. She also said any difficulties Duke faced Saturday will be helpful in coordinating future events.

Illegalities and transportation issues aside, concertgoers said they got plenty of satisfaction from the show.

For Wolff, the concert was just proof that the Stones are still-and will continue to be-rock and roll gods.

"They're going to rock until they die," she said.

Share and discuss “Still rocking, Stones thrill Duke” on social media.