Blue Devil attack fails to finish chances

It was Senior Day at Williams Field, but the weather-and No. 2 Maryland-would not cooperate with the field hockey team's celebratory plans. Though the pouring rain subsided shortly after the start of the game, the No. 3 Blue Devils ultimately fell to the Terrapins, 2-0, Oct. 8.

Maryland (14-1, 3-1 in the ACC) jumped on top early, as Paula Infante scored the team's first goal just six minutes into the game.

The Blue Devils (10-3, 2-2) then went on the offensive, outshooting Maryland 12-6 in the first half, and 25-8 for the game.

"We took a lot of shots-but they weren't the greatest shots," Duke head coach Beth Bozman said. "I felt like there was a lot of intensity lacking today."

Though the Blue Devils possessed the ball more than the Terps, they were unable to break through the Maryland defense and tie the game.

"We still didn't do a lot of the things we talked about," said forward Katie Grant, who led Duke with five shots, including three on goal. "We fell apart in our passing game; we were doing too much individual work."

With the Blue Devils unable to find the back of the net, the Terps built on their early lead, picking up an insurance goal 2:25 into the second half. Janneke van Leeuwen scored on an unassisted goal, hitting the top-left corner on a shot from the right side of the cage.

Down 2-0, Duke continued to fire shots on net until the end of the game, taking the last of its five penalty corners with 6:18 left to play. But the team still could not beat Maryland goalkeeper Kathryn Masson.

Masson notched a career-high 14 saves as the Blue Devils were shutout for the first time all season.

"They definitely had their opportunities," Grant said. "But we just couldn't get it to fall for us today. We did have a ton of shots, but we just need to start putting the pressure on a little harder in the circle, making sure we finish and not just being satisfied with taking any shot."

Duke returned to high-scoring form Tuesday, topping No. 18 Villanova (11-4), 7-1. The Blue Devils scored twice within the first nine minutes and never looked back.

For the game, Duke outshot Villanova 40-3, and took 16 corners while holding the Wildcats to just one. Caitlin Williams played the entire game in goal to pick up the win.

Share and discuss “Blue Devil attack fails to finish chances” on social media.