New tailgating policy finalized

Tailgating for football games is a rite of fall on campus, but when Duke faces Virginia Tech in its home opener Saturday, students will have to play by a new set of rules.

The revised policy, finalized Wednesday, was drafted by members of the administration and student leaders from various campus organizations in response to progressively unruly tailgates throughout the football season last year.

Under the new policy, tailgating will start in the Blue Zone at 8:00 a.m. and will end promptly at kickoff. As in past years, students will not be allowed to bring glass containers into the Blue Zone while at tailgate, nor will they be allowed to use funnels or similar drinking devices. Drinking games also will not be permitted.

The tailgating policy will be enforced by members of the administration and student leaders. Use of law enforcement will be avoided if at all possible, said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students.

Wasiolek is optimistic about the new plan and believes that the tailgating tradition should be maintained as a social outlet for students, noting that it would be a shame to “fumble the tradition.” The success of tailgating, however, will rely heavily upon student cooperation, she said.

“I think the bottom line is that we have great faith in our students and our student leaders. And they can have a great impact on having a positive and safe and fun tailgating experiences,” Wasiolek said.

Members of greek societies and athletic teams on campus have been notified of the policy. Although they are uncertain as to whether it will be effective, those notified said they would cooperate.

At the Interfraternity Council meeting Tuesday, the policy was met with approval by the presidents of various fraternities, said Delta Tau Delta President Reed Shaffner, a senior. At a team meeting held by baseball Head Coach Sean McNally last week, players were told to abide by the new regulations.

“I think for the baseball team it’s better.... It’s going to keep a lot of us out of trouble,” sophomore Brett Smith said. “It’s going to help support our football team.”Duke Student Government President Jesse Longoria, a senior, considers the policy a victory. Longoria said there was a move on the part of the administration earlier this year to eliminate tailgating altogether.

Wasiolek confirmed that there were, at the start of the school year, indications the administration might move in this direction.

In the last tailgate of 2004, there were numerous reports of fights and drug use, including one incident of a student snorting cocaine off the hood of a car.

“The evolution of tailgating last year really forced us to reconsider whether tailgating was going to be an option at all this year, and we really don’t want to eliminate it,” Wasiolek said.

The increased vigilance of North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement officers, she added, played no part in the new policy, which administrators and students began to draft last spring.

Other schools have put similar tailgating policies into effect long before Duke has, Wasiolek said.

Tailgating in its current form has existed at Duke for only three years.

Longoria said he is not sure exactly what to expect from the new policy. He hopes that the policy will create a safe and exciting environment before games while encouraging school spirit at the games themselves.

Administration and student leaders are excited about the new policy, but the true test will come game time Saturday, when students head to the Blue Zone.

“I’m very optimistic,” said Wasiolek. “But if it doesn’t work we can discuss it and go back to the drawing board.”

The new tailgating policy is outlined in a full page advertisement on page seven of today’s Chronicle.

Share and discuss “New tailgating policy finalized” on social media.