Duhon aids devastated Slidell

As the wind and rain from Hurricane Katrina pounded the gulf coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, many students watched on television as the rising water flooded houses and swept cars down streets that resembled rivers.

Former Duke point guard Chris Duhon, a native of Slidell, La. decided to do something about it.

The second-year Chicago Bulls guard formed the Chris Duhon Hurricane Relief Fund to deliver food, clothing and financial aid to his hometown and other affected areas. Fellow Duke alum Jay Williams, Charlotte Bobcats and former North Carolina Tar Heel Raymond Felton and the Houston Rockets’ Vin Baker immediately pledged their financial support, and NBA Players’ Association executive director Billy Hunter called Duhon to promise his help in encouraging other NBA players to donate to the fund.

The Bulls also vowed to provide storage for some of the donated supplies until they could be delivered to the devastated areas.

“I knew the hurricane was coming; the only question was how hard it was going to hit,” Duhon said. “I got feedback about what had happened, and I wanted to do something to help. I’ve always considered Slidell home.”

Duhon will coordinate the delivery of the food and clothing collected as soon as possible to help in the immediate aftermath of the disaster. Monetary contributions will go toward rebuilding the homes, schools and community buildings destroyed.

“Many towns are experiencing this devastation and have yet to determine what, if any, buildings will be saved,” Duhon said. “We have to do something to help ease this burden.”

Though Duhon has heard from many of his family and friends, that they had escaped the hurricane unscathed, much of their property—including a house that Duhon’s family owns in Slidell—had been damaged or destroyed.

“It’s tough,” Duhon said. “My high school coach and a lot of my friends I grew up with—even our house that my aunt lives in is completely underwater—everyone is going back home to nothing.”

After Duhon decided to start the fund, his friends around the league called and pledged their support. Duhon knows Williams from their years together at Duke, and he shares an agent with former North Carolina guard Felton and an accountant with Baker.

As for what he will give to the fund himself, Duhon said he did not yet know, but he vowed his contribution would be sizable.

“I’m definitely going to give money; I’m definitely going to give clothes, and I’m definitely going to give food,” Duhon said. “I’m going to do whatever I can to help.”

Share and discuss “Duhon aids devastated Slidell” on social media.