Duke drops pair to Wolfpack

The Blue Devils had trouble running with the ’Pack last weekend in their final home series of the season.

Duke (14-36, 5-22 in the ACC) dropped two of its three games at Jack Coombs Field and suffered its worst home loss of the season at the hands of No. 23 N.C. State (36-14, 15-12).

In Friday’s series opener, the Blue Devils looked every bit like a team returning to the diamond for the first time after an 11-day exam hiatus.

Duke pitching surrendered 15 walks in the contest, and 10 different N.C. State batters recorded a hit as the Wolfpack cruised to a 22-0 victory.

“We came out with a lack of focus, and it just kind of snowballed throughout the game,” senior Senterrio Landrum said.

The Blue Devil offense shook off the rust Saturday, however, and Duke bounced back from Friday’s blowout to out-slug N.C. State 14-10.

“After Friday’s embarrassment, no one wanted to be embarrassed again,” said Landrum, who went 3-4 with two runs and three RBIs in the game.

Despite Danny Otero’s struggles on the mound, where he gave up 10 earned runs in seven and two-thirds innings of work, Duke was finally able to give the sophomore the run support he has been lacking for most of the season.

The Blue Devils got to Wolfpack starter Branden Knapp early, knocking the lefty out of the game after only two innings of work. Duke crossed home plate nine times in the first three innings. Despite a surging N.C. State offense that remained on Duke’s heels for most of the game, the Blue Devils managed to stay ahead by banging out 15 hits and capitalizing on three Wolfpack errors to win the game.

“A combination of guys hit well,” Landrum said, “For the most part, everyone contributed to the win.”

Sunday’s rubber match, however, belonged to N.C. State, as the Wolfpack regrouped behind a solid pitching performance by freshman Andrew Brackman and won 11-4.

As has been the case all season, errors plagued the Duke defense. The Blue Devils surrendered three in Sunday’s game and five over the course of the weekend.

“When you play good teams like N.C. State, you can’t make the little mistakes like we did,” Socorro said.

Duke will now travel to Charlottesville, Va., to take on the Cavaliers (33-17, 11-14) in the final series of the regular season.

The two teams have not faced each other since last year’s ACC Championships, when seventh-seeded Duke shocked second-seeded Virginia, ranked seventh in the nation at the time, with a 6-5 upset in the first round.

“I think everyone still has a positive mindset,” Landrum said. “From the way we bounced back Saturday I feel like everyone is still competing. I don’t think we have any guys on this team that are just going to quit. We want to win.”

Share and discuss “Duke drops pair to Wolfpack” on social media.