Not today, Fred

As a native of Topeka, Kansas, my heart sank when I read The Chronicle Wednesday morning and saw that the hatred I observed in my childhood had made its way to Duke. I have walked into my church many Sundays past signs declaring “God Hates Fags.” Fred Phelps is infamous for his hatred in Topeka and across the nation. His offensive, homophobic remarks and picket signs held by himself and his followers will shock and offend most, as we are forced to witness the extent to which the First Amendment and its freedoms reach and protect each of us. I agree with Voltaire when he wrote, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” It is a challenging price of freedom. Phelps is NOT politically correct, is NOT kind, is NOT rational and does NOT care about offending others. He is also NOT violent and thus far, he has not violated the laws of our land to a point where he can be stopped through legal action.

That doesn’t mean, however, that he cannot be stopped. Each of us has a choice. You can choose to sit by apathetically, frustrated and dismayed. Or you can choose to stand up and say, “Not Today, Fred.” His hatred can be overshadowed by understanding, dialogue and acceptance. Wear your “gay? fine by me” shirt. Engage in dialogue. Ask questions within your faith community. Stay on campus an extra day before Myrtle Beach and support students at the Durham School of the Arts by attending The Laramie Project. Whatever your choice, do not respond with violence or hatred. The horrors many will witness on his signs provide an opportunity for each of us to address the tough social, political and religious questions of today. As someone who has grown forced to observe his repugnant signs and hatred, there is nothing Phelps delights in more than watching his actions divide. You have the chance to show him that Duke and Durham are better than that.

Katie Owen

Trinity ’06

Share and discuss “Not today, Fred” on social media.