Event planning tops solo candidate's list

Paige Sparkman has a self-professed passion for improving student life—and she is running for Duke Student Government vice president of student affairs to put that passion into practice.

A junior from McLean, Va., Sparkman has spent the last three years working as a senator on the DSG Student Affairs committee and currently serves as DSG’s public relations director. One of three candidates running unopposed in the March 31 elections, Sparkman said she hopes to enhance student life as both a leader and collaborator if elected.

“I have a vested interest in Duke and its future,” Sparkman said. “I want to work to improve it with other people.”

Listening to students’ needs and concerns—both articulated and subtle—will be the launching point for her actions as vice president, Sparkman explained.

“I want to read the student body, see what’s going on and prioritize my different platforms and goals to best benefit the student body,” she said.

But Sparkman already has several goals outlined for next year.

Sparkman’s main priority will be helping student groups plan more successful events. After working this year to create a universal event registration form, Sparkman said she wants to launch a website devoted to the aspects of registering events that will help groups understand and correctly complete the process. She also plans to lobby for the removal of the security fund cap—a University policy that limits the amount of money groups have to pay for event security.

“It’s ridiculous and contrary to safety on campus,” she said.

Tweaking Duke’s alcohol policy is another of Sparkman’s priorities. She said unclear aspects of the current policy often leave students feeling “trapped by the administration.” A broad education program about the rights the policy affords students and the consequences of violations will be key to helping students understand and respect the policy, Sparkman explained. She said she also plans to meet with administrators to thoroughly evaluate the existing regulations.

“We’ll come across certain parts of the policy that we will identify as needing clarification and perfections,” she said.

In addition, Sparkman said she will focus on improving student health care. She plans to push for the re-opening of a 24-hour clinic on East Campus and the establishment of a similar facility on West.

“Due to health insurance increases this year, I think there needs to be a similar increase in the assistance provided to students,” Sparkman said. “Students [should] get the care they paid for.”

Sparkman also plans to push for the creation of a comprehensive calendar that includes both student and University-related events and dates. She noted that many of Duke’s peer institutions have a universal calendar and said buying the expensive software to create one is well worth the money.

Sophomore Joel Kliksberg, current DSG vice president for community interaction, said Sparkman’s track record in DSG prepared her well for a vice presidential post.

“I think Paige brings a broad understanding of student affairs,” he said, noting her work improving the public relations strategies of DSG and with simplifying event registration. “She’s taken on a broad range of responsibilities and come out with effective results in the past.”

Share and discuss “Event planning tops solo candidate's list” on social media.